Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried for the last 2 years to work with linux. I like the setup (mostly mandrake at the time) and wanted to use it as the main operating system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can never ever use the internet.

I've tried for the last 2 years to work with linux. I like the setup (mostly mandrake at the time) and wanted to use it as the main operating system on my pc. I had an adsl modem which was not compatible with linux, and to get it to work, I spent hours following instructions from forums and various other places to the letter. Nothing worked. I was advised to get a router, and here I am in the same position I can't get it to work at all.

Its a wireless router. Bt Voyager 2100. I recently downloaded a copy of Ubuntu, to see if It would make any difference, but I still have the same problem. When I am installing, it recognises my card. Its a BT Voyager 1040 wireless card. It then tries to connect, but can't find my router at all. I'm a complete novice at linux, as its hard learn on a platform where you have no internet access. This makes my problem even more difficult, as I can't follow tutorials on the internet alot of the time if I have no internet access.

Can anyone help me out here? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Let's see what we can do.
    In a root console, type ifconfig and note your output. Hopefully you get more than just the loopback device. If one of the items that shows up is wlan0, then we're off to a good start.
    If you don't get an item called wlan0, then there's a chance the wireless is showing up as eth0 (provided there's no ethernet port, or it's disabled). In either case, issue the command iwconfig (again in a root console) and note the output. If everything comes back saying "No wireless extensions," that gives us a clue where to start.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux User
    Most wireless isn't yet Linux friendly..

I would suggest using a regular Network Interface Card to attach your PC directly to the router to start. get everything up and working and after that you can fiddle with the wireless..
    far...out