Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm new to linux and am trying to get my Diamond MX300 sound card to work. I have downloaded and uncompressed the file au88xx-1.1.2.tar.bz2. When I try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Diamond MX300 drivers, need help installing pls

Hi all, I'm new to linux and am trying to get my Diamond MX300 sound card to
    work. I have downloaded and uncompressed the file au88xx-1.1.2.tar.bz2.
    When I try to install the drivers I get the following error:

[root@localhost aureal]# make install
    cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentium -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall
    -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
    make: cc: Command not found
    make: *** [au_audio.o] Error 127

I'm using Mandrake 9.0 and have an AMD Duron 1G chip. The read me mentions "This
    driver is for Intel x86 systems only."
    Is this a source of problems for me? The folder that I'm trying to install from
    is in my home directory, I have tried to uncompress
    into /usr/lib and also /usr/src but cannot uncompress into those directories. As
    I said, I'm a newbie and am feeling my way around.

I tried OSS drivers from 4FRONT and they work, so I know the card works under
    Linux, but if I can get the card to work with free drivers that would be much better.

Cheers, John

Linux Guru
    Oh, don't worry, you have an x86-based system. The problem is that you don't have gcc installed. Install it and it will work much better. If you don't have either the kernel headers or the kernel source installed, you will have to install one of them, too. The kernel source is preferred (guarantees that it works), but it takes much more space than the kernel headers. The choice is basically up to you.

Just Joined!
    Just a quick note to let ppl know I got the sound card working. I didn't have the kernel source installed (thx Dolda). Once I got that in every thing went well.

Any body know how to get these darn Nvidia drivers to install nicely??

Linux Guru
    Is there any specific aspect of installing them that you're referring to? I'd recommend downloading the source for them, and then reading the PDF file that they have. It tells just about everything as I recall.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by zippo
    Just a quick note to let ppl know I got the sound card working. I didn't have the kernel source installed (thx Dolda). Once I got that in every thing went well.

Any body know how to get these darn Nvidia drivers to install nicely??
    just compile them, and change the nvidia driver in your xfree86 config to nvidia instead of nv. restart x and tata!

Linux Guru
    It's not really that simple if you have a TV output on you card, though (and you want to use it). I don't remember the exact option names you have to add, since it was so long since I did it myself, but it says in the PDF file.