Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have had Mandrake 9.1 installed (dual, with Win XP) on a box for a while now, not really doing anything with it other than fooling with commands ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Belkin 802.11b USB WLAN w/ Mandrake 9.1

Hello all,

I have had Mandrake 9.1 installed (dual, with Win XP) on a box for a while now, not really doing anything with it other than fooling with commands and such, but i finally decided to hook it up to my pre-existing Wireless LAN.

I use, as you can see in the Subject, a Blekin 802.11b USB setup. As far as my research has gone, and as helpful as Belkin Tech Support haven't been, i can only connect to the internet services and home network if i use a cable straight to the Hub. Mandrake 9.1 itself works fine that way...however, it does not recognise the USB Wireless reciever once i take it upstairs and no longer use a direct connection with the Hub.

I was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions as what to do to rectify this, as i would like to finally get online with Linux and see how far it really goes. If you need any more information, i will post it as soon as possible; any comments or suggestions are wanted.

-Infinite.

Just Joined!

re:

I have belkin 802.11g wireless LAN, and frmo emails between Belkin customer service, and people on this board, Belkin is no good with linux. They don't offer drivers, and no one has/can made a driver for any belkin product.

As of now, my best solution ive thot of to this was to network the linux box to my windows xp box via ethernet, then that should be able to use the internet connection from that computer.

GL, maybe someone else can help you more then me.

Just Joined!
    Well, that's a shame. I'll have to look more into other options then.

Thankyou for the answer, it has helped.

-Infinite

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

re:

No prob =)

I wouldn't take my complete word for it. As my sig suggests, I'm new to it all.

GL though =)

Linux Guru
    I remember when verto first brought his problem up a couple of months ago. At least from my research at that time, Belkin did not support Linux, had no intention of doing so, and was even actively refusing to release any specification about their products so that other people could create a driver. There was even an on-line petition that you could sign to pressure Belkin into releasing their specs.
    Thus, if I were you, I would try to return those Belkin products for a refund and buy some Intersil/Spectrum-compatible hardware, which will work with Linux.
    Another option is to try to get the specs from Belkin so that a driver can be built.

Of course, their position might have changed during this time, although I doubt it.

Just Joined!
    Yes, well, their Tech Support wasn't really helpful when i emailed them for any information they may have on where to get drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin Tech Support Email
    Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

Can you please connect a computer to the router (hardwire ) and then configure the router before you are able to connect to the internet wirelessly. This is independent of operating system .

Please follow the procedure given below:

To setup the router please refer the following URL
    http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=1075
    Please do make sure that the physical connections between the ,modem/router/computer are as follows:
    Please connect a CAT 5 straight cable between the Cable/DSL modem and the WAN port of the Belkin router.

Connect the desktop (Wired) to the router's 1,2 3 or 4 port using another Cat 5 cable
    Now, obvisouly they did not read my initial email thoroughly, or just plain refused to give me details, but either way, they were no help. Tomorrow, i shall go into the store and ask them face to face, which i find to be more intimidating

-Infinite

Edited by Dolda2000: Fixed the quote tags. You need quotation marks around the quoted name for it to work.