Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any "plug and play" 802.11a pcmcia cards that will work with Redhat 9 Kernel 2.4...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

802.11a and Redhat9

Are there any "plug and play" 802.11a pcmcia cards that will work with Redhat 9 Kernel 2.4

Linux Guru
    802.11a? Are you sure that you don't mean 802.11b? Otherwise, I can't even say that I know what you're referring to.

If you do mean 802.11b, the general rule, as far as I know, is that they should be using a chipset that is compatible with either the Spectrum24 chipset or the Intersil 2 or 2.5 chipsets, and that they should have firmware in ROM (in contrast to having to load firmware into the card every time you plug it in).
    However, I can't say that I know what cards these are. I'm going to recommend the same thing that I always recommend when it comes to compatibility testing: If you find a card that you think should work, buy it, and if it actually doesn't work, return it for a refund. That's how I always do. =)

Just Joined!

Yes 802.11a

802.11a is the new 5ghz technology. I am having allot of trouble compiling the driver for the Netgear HA501 card in Redhat9, I need to find a step by step with example set of instuctions on how to do this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    5 GHz? I haven't heard of that, unless it is the new 54 mbps technology that I've heard about. I thought it, too, ran on 2.4 GHz, though... I'll have to check this out.