Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm going to switch my main PC over from MDK 9.1 to Debian 9.1 one day next week, and need to know if I should expect any probs from files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing Distro's

I'm going to switch my main PC over from MDK 9.1 to Debian 9.1 one day next week, and need to know if I should expect any probs from files in my $HOME directory. I am going to format the other partitions, but have a few text and HTML's in $HOME that I would like to keep

Haven't done alot of resaerh into Debian yet, other than it is better than MDK for a more experienced users. Will I be able to use my RPM's? Anything else of major importance to be on the lookout for? (The drivers for my video card are in RPM format, as well as a couple of games)

Linux Engineer
    you'll have to install the package alien to be able to use RPMs.. alien lets debian use other package formats.. not sure if it enables the other formats with apt, though..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Sorry, guy, Debian noobie.

Apt?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    apt is the package manager for debian, it can be compared to portage for gentoo except that everything comes in binary form instead of source forum. i calculates all dependences and then downloads everything you need and installs it jst by typing apt-get <filename> i believe. there mite be an option you have to type but not sure as i dont use debian. hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!