Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install JSP with my Apache server. I have the Apache server up and serving html pages. I want to be able to support some of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Why is are my variables disappearing AND How to install JSP

I am trying to install JSP with my Apache server. I have the Apache server up and serving html pages. I want to be able to support some of the JSP pages I have writen.

To install JSP I have installed the Java JDK1.3.1_03 in the /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_03 directory. Then, I attemp to create a system variable, JAVA_HOME to contain the directory. Here is my command:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_03 ; export JAVA_HOME

It seems to work, because when I type:
    echo $JAVA_HOME
    I get the directory path I entered.

Then, I add the directory path to the classpath(?) like so:
    PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH ; export PATH

When I echo $PATH I get what the correct new path and the javac command works. So the jdk is set up now, yea. By the way, I do all of this from the terminal as superuser in Xwindows on Mandrake 8.1 (vitamin), I believe it is a BASH shell.

I then, do the same thing for TOMCAT_HOME, and ANT_HOME. The problem arrises when I shutdown the computer for any reason. When I restart the computer the PATH is back to default, no more JAVA_HOME or anything. How do I get the PATH to stay set after I have restarted the computer. By the way, I use this command to shutdown the computer:

shutdown -h now

I have read that this is the way to do it without messing stuff up. please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance. Plus, I you know where I can find detailed instructions on how to install JSP, I would appreciate it.

Just Joined!
    What you need to do is add the following lines to /etc/profile (for all users) or ~/.bash_profile (for individual users)

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_03
    PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

then add JAVA_HOME to the EXPORT line.

That should do it.

Tithefug

Linux User
    (assuming you use bash)

cat /etc/passwd | grep `whoami`

the last part of this being your default login shell (bash by default under most distros I believe)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Enthusiast
    Josh: what is that command supposed to do? He was looking for a way to make the JAVA_HOME/bin variable available to all users, yours does nothing like that, maybe a mispost? Either way, he needs to `export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin` in one way or another at the beginning of a session. Joe's idea will work, but export is in lowercase.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    yeah, the first part was missing

I said assuming you use bash,

(missing part)you can check for your default login shell by/missing part)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.