Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had this little problem where my boot sector was on the secondary hard drive (running linux) and i went to a friends without that HDD, but instead a 120gig ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Formatting

I had this little problem where my boot sector was on the secondary hard drive (running linux) and i went to a friends without that HDD, but instead a 120gig HDD which was empty.

The friend had her PC totally in shambles so the intention was to copy all onto the 120gig and then format.

I booted my PC, and realized that the boot sector was missing, and so on the 120gig HDD (Which isnt mine) i particioned some space so i could install a LINUX boot sector.

Now i finished that, and the owner wants the HDD back in its NTFS filesystem... but i dont know how, and when i search for it on google, i just get debates between which filesystem is better. Thats pretty dumb, we know which is the far more efficient filesystem, but windows never was made for efficiency, other then in bringing in the cash.

So could you give me the steps please? It would be greatly appreciated.
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    i assume that all but like 1mb of the drive is empty?

if so just run fdisk /mbr to reinstall the windows bootloader, she will never miss whatever tiny amount of space u took for a bootloader.

or have u copied like 20gb of stuff onto a ext3 partition? if so then i think u will have to use something like e2fs from windows to copy it to the ntfs part of the drive.

i think newer version of windoze can see linux partitions in their disk manager things and so should be able to wipe the ext3 partition then resize the ntfs one to cover up the blank space. then u run "fdisk /mbr" to restore the windows bootloader.

Linux Newbie
    windows sees it when you go harddrive properties, but it doesnt say much, and is hard to format

Its a direct split. I couldnt be bothered calculating anything when creating the bootloader, and there were allready two particions particions partishions... im tired.... umm anyways, they are 60gig each, and so therefore 60gigz needs to be back to ntfs

Edit: also there is nothing on it apart from a linux version of something... whatever was handy at the time
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    ok boot off ur linux CD. run cfdisk or pareted or whatever u want, wipe the linux partition and format it to fat32. then windows wil be able to see/format it to ntfs. which IMO is a bad idea but if u rally want to...

Linux Newbie
    thanks =D
    /skythra