Find the answer to your Linux question:
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! 3 days i've been working on this! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Ok, i've an old clone PC. Some cheap PC Chips MB but with a separate SCSi controller with 3 HDD's. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Newbie - COMPLEtE fruStration sUSE - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
    3 days i've been working on this!
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Ok, i've an old clone PC. Some cheap PC Chips MB but with a separate SCSi controller with 3 HDD's.

I'm trying to install SUSIE linux but to no avail.

Currently the OS is W2K

I have the DVD of SUSE v10... the DVD drive is on a USB.

I've copied the contents onto the D: drive.

I've finallllllllly made the floppy disks to boot up suse installation but it can't see my hard disks. (I wasn't that surprised).

Where do i start?

OK i need to boot up (OK from floppy) and get the installation to see the d: drive which is on a scsi bus. How?

If not the scsi bus then give me DVD which sits on the USB bus. How?

The 3 disks i created from the ver9 .img files are ok... but i need more in the case of drivers. How?

I'm from a microsoft, IBM, Lotus background but this thing has seriously p****ED md off.

Installations should be easier than this.

All i need is for the floppy to boot up, recognise either my SCSI HDD's or my USB/external DVD drive and so i can continue installation.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

I'm annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by kshaharudin
    I have the DVD of SUSE v10... the DVD drive is on a USB.

I've copied the contents onto the D: drive.
    Ok. Wait. Are you doing this because your computer won't recognize your USB drive as a boot device?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

A new day but clamer... adn still no success

Yes the PC wouldn't recognise the USB device and as this beast was a clone there was no where in the bios to do so. Today i threw it out of the window.

Now i've whipped out a Dell GX260 and guess what... no booting from USB!! Been through my newly update A09 bios features and tried various configs but always the PC bypasses USB and strolls on by to the ide hdd which is configured for w2k.

Used my 3 Linuxrc v1.7 disks to start an installation but with all the right modules loaded and it finding the external DVD drive it still throws up an error when loading something into the ram page. The terminal says somwthing simple like error loading rampage which is unhelpful and i think Yast is supposed to start.

Wouldn't this be easier that from a microsoft product, you click on the CV/DVD/'whatever medium you've managed to get linux on' and simply run a setup.exe file?

Just Joined!
    Did you burn an IMAGE of the ISO or did you make a data DVD?

Use need to burn an Image to CD..........

Quote Originally Posted by kshaharudin
    Wouldn't this be easier that from a microsoft product, you click on the CV/DVD/'whatever medium you've managed to get linux on' and simply run a setup.exe file?
    I don't know what you're asking here. Your computer has issues booting from USB. More than likely it's a problem with your computer, not Linux. Apparently if you want Linux on this box you're going to have to try something different.

Perhaps buy an internal IDE DVDROM drive for the clone PC? They're less than $50USD these days, and that should solve your problem.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Trollol.. We know you are annoyed, but why are you directing your anger to us?

Maybe you should really consider buying that internal IDE cdrom drive. USB is really tricky booting device and only the newest BIOSes do support booting from USB. Cdrom drives instead are really well supported and with that you should have no problems with booting.

techie, I think kshaharudin meant why installing Linux isn't so easy as double klicking setup.exe under windows.