Find the answer to your Linux question:
greetings all! i am a complete newb to linux period. im currently exparamenting with linux by installing ubunto on d: using vmware 5.5.1 on winblows 2003 server. once my install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

need help installing Ubuntu via VMware on 2003 server

greetings all!

i am a complete newb to linux period. im currently exparamenting with linux by installing ubunto on d: using vmware 5.5.1 on winblows 2003 server.

once my install was completed, it asked me to login. so i entered my user name and password, up pops the last login field, etc, etc.
    but right below "Ubuntu comes with absolutely no warranty, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
    i see:
    testing(my user name)@ubuntu:~$

nothing happens after that.....

im completly lost....

thanks in advanced

Just Joined!

somewhat confused myself(permanently)

i use vmplayer to run ubuntu breezy badger on a windoze machine myself. While i have built my own virtual machines from different linux cds, the easiest way was to download and install the player and then download the ubuntu virtual machine from vmware's website. if you hove limited ram you may wish to open the .vmx file in notebook and change the ram used to whatever, i think the default is 128.

sorry if this is a little off topic for you, but it does seem a little easier to actually use.....=0j
    btw-- You are looking at the command line, try typing startx and see what happens... you may wish to type something like apt-get install gnome-desktop as well if that fails.You may aslo wish to read up on xserver settings. There is'nt really enought information in this to say much else.

Welcome to linux, over your machine you shall have complete control, complete security, and sometimes, complete frustration.