Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well, I went for Gentoo and I must say that I've learned a lot about Linux during this install. Debian probably would have been easier from what I've been told ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Well, I went for Gentoo and I must say that I've learned a lot about Linux during this install. Debian probably would have been easier from what I've been told and just as good.

I flipped a coin and here I am, posting from my new Gentoo desktop OS! The documentation is very good and fairly easy to follow. I did have to visit the Gentoo forums several times. The biggest problem was my lack of knowledge. Dolda was, as usual, correct in that the install took 10 to 12 hours, once I got the hang of what I was doing. If you're a noob like me, expect several days. Oh, and be 'very' familiar with your installed hardware.

I am very impressed with Gentoo, it's speed is one of the first things you notice. The package system, Portage is sweet! Good by RPM!

Thanks for the suggestions.

bd

Linux Engineer
    Like I said before, apt can have depency problems in the testing and unstable states. The stable really hasn't bugged me about any problems. The bad thing about stable is that it often doesn't make a good workstation since it uses older software.

I've recently read that Debian has been the most outgrowing distro with SuSE and Gentoo following closely behind.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...tribution.html

Although I've recenlty switched my workstation to Fedora, I really think Debian is a great distro. Nontheless, I'll most likely try Gentoo on my next computer. It's the only other distro that I'm interested in.
    The best things in life are free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2