Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone, I have been trying to install slackware9.1 on my dual boot laptop which runs already mandrake9.2 and winXP - I have already a third partition available which i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

re.:installing 2distro + winXP

hello everyone,

I have been trying to install slackware9.1 on my dual boot laptop which runs already mandrake9.2 and winXP - I have already a third partition available which i formatted as ext3 - I remember trying this a while ago without positive result (I spent 3 days to have my system back, after I damaged the other partitions and nothing was working anymore) - now I'd like to try again as really need to work on slackware -

does anyone have any good tips?
    things like mnt/points, partition priority (primary, logic, active etc....), if I should install them in a precise order (which one first) etc.......

I remember trying to install RH as third OS, and after edting the lilo.conf (i also tried with grub.conf), fstab, mtab ........ did not manage to boot properly

any help will be most appreciated.
    thanx
    the operator

Linux Engineer
    if you could describe your current partition setup in detail such as total size of the disk(s) number, location and size of partitions and what partitions are in use we can probably help you

Linux Newbie
    I'm sorry I totally forgot about it;
    Toshiba satellite P4 2.8Ghz
    /dev/hda 60Gb
    graphic nvidia 32Mb
    RAM 512Mb
    -
    partitions:
    /dev/had1 vfat 23Gb - winXP

/dev/hda5 swap 1Gb
    /dev/hda3 / 14Gb

/dev/hda7 swap 1Gb
    /dev/hda6 / 22Gb

I hope that this may be helpful - still trying hard 9even right now as I'm writing this,lol) -

not a real newbie anymore but still I cant figure it out

thanx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Admittedly, I haven't installed Slackware, but I don't see the problem. If the partition is already there, formatted and ready, then what's keeping you from just installing onto it?

Linux Newbie
    the problem seems to be editing the correct line of lilo.conf - the default image (mandrake9.2) sees all the other OS (winXP and slackware9.1) - winXP boots fine but slackware (the second distro) does not

after editing the lilo.conf (image, label, root....) still sackware doesnt boot up -

any idea on what the problem may be? could anyone give me the correct lilo.conf line to boot up a second linux distro?

any help will be much appreciated

thanx

Linux Guru
    After editing your lilo.conf, you must run "/sbin/lilo" to recompile the boot sector. I don't know if maybe you know that, but I thought I might suggest it just to be sure.

Linux Newbie
    hello,

I have re-reun the lilo.conf after editing it, but that is the /etc/lilo.conf - is that different from the /sbin/lilo?

I havent considered running a /sbin/lilo (I didnt even know that there was one) - thanx for the tip, but i need to know for sure whether that is meant to be /sbin/lilo rather than /etc/lilo

p.s.: i also read in other messagges on this forum (Grub - lilo), that omitting the 'root=LABEL=/' in the lilo.conf apparently works better. Any clues?

Linux Guru
    /etc/lilo.conf is the configuration file, while /sbin/lilo is the program that installs LILO, so yes, there certainly is a difference.

And yes, I would advice you not to use disk labels like LABEL=/. However, I wouldn't advice you to completely omit the root= option. That only works in certain cases. Instead, use root=/dev/hda1 (for example - exchange hda1 for your actual root partition).

Linux User
    yeah...LABEL dint work for me using grub...i had to change it to /dev/hda1...
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Linux Newbie
    hey guys, a BIG thanx to all!!!

eventually I managed to do that now I can boot all OS on my /dev/hda - now the next challenge is configure all the peripherics under slackware

once again thanx and ..... at the next problem!!!