Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using redhat 9 and firebird 0.7. Somehow all the chinese characters displayed in firebird and gaim are funky squares. Could anyone help me for that? Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couldn't display Chinese

Hi,
    I'm using redhat 9 and firebird 0.7. Somehow all the chinese characters displayed in firebird and gaim are funky squares. Could anyone help me for that? Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    when installing redhat,there was a package named "kde-inter.lang.support" or like that.
    installing this package may fix the problem

Just Joined!
    I just installed Mozilla 1.6 and Chinese works fine there. I've installed all the language support packages from the redhat CD. Firebird and gaim still can't display chinese.

Linux Guru
    The problem is that the font doesn't contain the characters that you want. When a font doesn't contain a character that a program wants to print, you get one of those "funky squares", as you describe them. In fact, inside the sqaure are four hexadecimal digits which tell you the unicode code point of the character.

The solution is to get a font that does have all the characters. Unfortunately, I don't know where to get one.