Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install FC5 on my external usb drive (as the title implies..) At first I was having trouble entering the grub, but I think I got this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing FC5 on external usb drive

I am trying to install FC5 on my external usb drive (as the title implies..)

At first I was having trouble entering the grub, but I think I got this sorted out - I reinstalled, this time changing the HD order, so that HD0 is my usb drive, and the grub now sits on its MBR. Now when the usb drive is connected, and after I put it as first boot order in the bios (After each re-connection is gets back to the end of the boot queue), it launches the grub console.
    I have no idea what I should do from there, as I was expecting some kind of boot menu.
    oh - I have added the needed modules using the mkinitrd, and directed my grub.conf file to use the new one. I've added ehci-hcd, usb-storage, scsi_mod and sd_mod.
    My grub.conf file now looks like this:

Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
    #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    #          root (hd0,0)
    #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    #          initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/sdc
    default=1
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #hiddenmenu
    title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    	#initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
    	initrd /usbinitrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
    title Other
    	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    	chainloader +1
    Am I missing something here? what should I change at this file, or someplace else, to enable the menu so I can chose between the FC and the XP?

Thanks for your help.

Have you changed your init script in your new initrd? You may need to add sleeps into this script or increase the default sleep time for USB. I make the USB sleep 10 or 15 and add a 5 second sleep after all the calls to load the modules have been made.

This link is good, deals with FC3 and 4 but I assume it should be fine for your purposes:
    www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/usb_install.pdf