Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I am a newb and would like to experiment with Linux for the first time. Which distro is full featured(home use, non-server) thanks again, Richard...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which distro for me?

So I am a newb and would like to experiment with Linux for the first time. Which distro is full featured(home use, non-server)
    thanks again,
    Richard

Linux Newbie
    i think Mandrake or RedHat(Fedora) would be a good start,they have many graphical tools for configuring system.
    Have a nice day

Just Joined!
    ok so I should get Red hat's Fedora instead of just their 'Vanilla' Red hat 9?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    yes.. fedora *is* the next version of RedHat for the desktop.. RedHat stopped officially supporting their desktop Linux in favor of their enterprise products.. they handed their desktop projects over to the Fedora project so that they could focus more on the enterprise side of things...

I join the choir

Fedora is a good start, I started using/playing linux with Redhat 6.1 (loong time ago, when the entire distro was on one CD :), and I've been using Redhat ever since (now I use Fedora), I've lately come to think of Gentoo, but that is something which isn't directly for beginners - it's a bit of setup, but sounds like fun adventure when beeing used to linux.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Or you could try out Knoppix ! its a live system i.e. you run it from the CD
    but there is an option to install it on the HD as well. Myself i have Mandrake 9.2
    on one machine Fedora Core 1 on another and is having a lot of problems
    trying to get SUSE 7.1 into a RS6000 machine !
    if you have a CD-burner drop by www.linuxiso.org and pick somthing up !
    they have a lot of different ISO's there
    Good luck / Kjell

Just Joined!
    i personally like libranet 2.8 it made my life alot easier as for example to recompile the kernel just needs u to press one button , and to install a software i just type apt-get install <package name>

u could check any review for it as it takes high scores

http://libranet.com/

Just Joined!
    I reckon since u're a new to all this, u should stick to a distro which is alraedy established and widely supported so it's easier to get documentation and drivers for your hardware or else it might be a pain!! I'm personally using red hat 9 and although my journey learning linux has not been a smooth one, after a while you tend to pick things up quicker. Therefore, I think the red hat ones (popular) prove to be not bad. That's just my two cents

Just Joined!
    I reckon since u're a new to all this, u should stick to a distro which is alraedy established and widely supported so it's easier to get documentation and drivers for your hardware or else it might be a pain!! I'm personally using red hat 9 and although my journey learning linux has not been a smooth one, after a while you tend to pick things up quicker. Therefore, I think the red hat ones (popular) prove to be not bad. That's just my two cents

Linux Engineer
    If you do install RedHat or Fedora, do yourself a favor and stay away from the "Add/Remove Applications." Instead, use the command line since it works unlike the GUI tool.
    The best things in life are free.