Find the answer to your Linux question:
This was while I was installing linux mandriva on my windows xp box. during the process I continued with the default 'clear drive' option and later realised that I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

quick format erased my windows xp partition ..

This was while I was installing linux mandriva on my windows xp box. during the process I continued with the default 'clear drive' option and later realised that I can not boot in windows any more .. I am sure that the quick format did not wipe the data on the disk and was wondering if anyone knows of any tools that will help me recover the windows files ? Thanks in advance , Ani

If it wasn't wiped, then knoppix livecd. Otherwise, you'll probably have to pay for something to recover.

Just Joined!

boot record

I think u have not lost ur windows drives but only not able to boot in windows because windows boot record has been overwritten.

Enter the Linux installation CD-1 and enter into rescue mode.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by hexman
    I think u have not lost ur windows drives but only not able to boot in windows because windows boot record has been overwritten.

Enter the Linux installation CD-1 and enter into rescue mode.
    Well, it's a bit more complicated then that, because not only the MBR was rewritten, but the partition table as well.

I could be wrong but I think that's what a quick format does, rewrite the partition table.

But afterwards you did install Linux all the the way, did you?

So now the Windows data has been written over with some Linux's one.

I doubt there is any easy solution in your case.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    boot using wix xp cd. Choose R for repair mode. Type: fixmbr (enter) fixboot (enter). Windows should boot properly after that (but probably not linux)

Just Joined!

Linux rescue mode

Yes, by using fixmbr & fixboot commands u can get the windows boot loader back but after that u'll lose ur linux chain loader and will not be able to boot into Linux(as windows does not recognizes the linux loader and overwrites that).
    So for recovering linux chain loader u need to use Linux CD-1 and go to Linux rescue mode.

For more info look into info pages of grub.(i.e. $ info grub),see the installation of grub.

Just Joined!
    or after that you can boot from a linux live cd to fix lilo/grub...

Just Joined!
    A similar thing happened to me when I installed Fedora - Win XP would no longer boot. The cure in my case was to go to the BIOS and toggle the disk addressing to LBA from AUTO or vice versa. Both Win XP and Fedora use LBA but like to find the initial read of the MBR as it was when it was installed. Both systems ignore the BIOS setting once the initial loader comes in. This maybe of some help if you have not already solved it.

Oh boy... please read what he wrote:
    during the process I continued with the default 'clear drive' option and later realised that I can not boot in windows any more
    "Clear drive" means that everything got erased. That is no bootloader problem and ther is no fix for that except a complete reinstall of windows or spending 3000 bucks for professional data recovery. Next time, be more careful on what you click. And reading manuals is sometimes not such a bad idea.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!

Thumbs down

just to back up what kojak just said....
    win-xp nolonger exists...
    welcome to the world of not reading carefully...
    clear disk means just that....bye bye windows...
    sorry about being another bearer of bad news...