Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am building a couple of computers that I would like to boot up and instantly start streaming audio from MuSE to an icecast/shoutcast server. That is their only function. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install custom live CD to hard drive

I am building a couple of computers that I would like to boot up and instantly start streaming audio from MuSE to an icecast/shoutcast server. That is their only function. They will be headless ( no monitor/keyboard)/

Since there will be no user interaction/modification after the machines are setup and they will be unmanned, I would like them to be able to be turned off without having to go through the linux shutdown process. That way if there is a powerfailure there will be no data loss/corruption.

My first thought is to make a custom live cd that will do what I want it to, that way if the computers are shut off there is no writable files system to corrupt. However, I would like to have the boot from a hard drive since I have a bunch of hard drives and only one CD drive...plus the compact size and speed of the hard drives is a bonus.

Is there anyway to essentially create a live cd then copy the image to a hard drive and tell boot loader to mount the image (as read only) and basically fool it into thinking it is a CDROM?

I am completely open to any suggestions....I am rather new to linux and anxious to learn.
    -Caleb