Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I am new here, and new to Linux. I have a question regarding the installation process on an HD that already has Unix installed (Solaris 10). Could anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH FC 4 Installation

Hello All,
    I am new here, and new to Linux. I have a question regarding the installation process on an HD that already has Unix installed (Solaris 10). Could anyone tell me how to go about removing Unix from this HD so that the installation CD's for RH FC4 will be recognized?
    Right now, I can't proceed past inserting the disk and closing the drive door (it just spins up and stops). I've tried to use the Disk Manager tool in Solaris to run an fdisk, tried rm files, all to no avail. When this is done, the machine is locked up, rebooting shows "bad bpr signal" and it still won't recognize the RH FC4 install disk. Any insight, comments, suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by trmn8r
    Hello All,
    I am new here, and new to Linux. I have a question regarding the installation process on an HD that already has Unix installed (Solaris 10). Could anyone tell me how to go about removing Unix from this HD so that the installation CD's for RH FC4 will be recognized?
    You sholdn't have to do anything special to the drive beforehand. The FC4 installer should give you the option to simpy "Remove all existing partitions" on the drive and install itself from there.

Right now, I can't proceed past inserting the disk and closing the drive door (it just spins up and stops). I've tried to use the Disk Manager tool in Solaris to run an fdisk, tried rm files, all to no avail. When this is done, the machine is locked up, rebooting shows "bad bpr signal" and it still won't recognize the RH FC4 install disk. Any insight, comments, suggestions are more than welcome.
    Is your computer's BIOS set up to boot from your CDROM drive first?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Thanks for the response

I was wondering if it might just be something as simple as a corrupt CD? I downloaded the *.iso files, used Iso Buster to extract them and used Roxio CD creator to make the CD's (bootable image of course).
    I had done the same for Solaris 10 (which is how I installed Unix onto the HD in the first place).
    Now I want to replace the Solaris install on this HD with RH FC 4. I bought a new HD because I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough room to have both OS's on the same drive.
    Based on what you mention in your post, I think that I will try to create the CD's again and give it a shot. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Regrads,
    trmn8r

Quote Originally Posted by trmn8r
    I was wondering if it might just be something as simple as a corrupt CD? I downloaded the *.iso files, used Iso Buster to extract them and used Roxio CD creator to make the CD's (bootable image of course).
    That was your first mistake, more than likely. The ISO files shouldn't be extracted; they should be burned as images. Roxio ECDC has the ability to burn cd images. Use that. Then try again.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Update

I finally broke down and bought a book that included a DVD of RH FC5. Although Linux is supposed to be free distribution, I think that it was a good investment as the book will help me along with other issues that I may encounter.
    I have since been able to load FC5 onto my machine, but am having issues with dual-booting (I have two HDD with Unix Solaris on one and the other now has FC5). The book isn't much help here, it only addresses dual-booting FC5 with Win XP and both are assumed to be on the same HDD. This is not my case. I found some information on another site that uses GRUB and tried to apply that to my situation, but so far have not been successful. I will keep trying until I have reached the breaking point (and have more information to post a question regarding this) and post an "SOS".
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

You might find this link interesting: http://frommars.org/2005/02/solaris-...dual-boot.html

I know it relates to FC3, but Grub hasn't changed that much between all the releases of Fedora Core.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I tried installing both OS's onto the same disk; however, when I went to install Solaris after RHC5 was insatlled, it overwrote everything but left a small "Linux" partition, even though I selected for Solaris to be insalled on the partition that was reserved for it.
    I have since installed the OS's back onto separate drives again and manually select (via cable connections) which OS I want to boot (prior to turning the power on). I appreciate the link, I will try to use the information available in that post with the other information that I have so far and try to get it to work.

Thank you.