Find the answer to your Linux question:
A couple of years ago I installed Linux onto my computer. I partitioned my hard-drive into two, since I also wanted to keep my Windows 98 system so I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I upgraded to XP...now I can't boot into linux

A couple of years ago I installed Linux onto my computer. I partitioned my hard-drive into two, since I also wanted to keep my Windows 98 system so I could play games. When I installed Linux onto my computer it also installed some software to let you decide whether you want to boot into windows or you want to boot into Linux whenever the computer boots.

This worked fine while I had Windows 98 on my computer, but recently I decided to upgrade to Windows XP. After I installed XP onto my computer, it seems like that software that allowed me to decide which operating system I wanted to boot up in has just dissapeared, although my guess is that when I installed XP it changed my boot sequence so it just bypasses the software.

My question is how do I get the option to boot between the two partitions back? Is there some way I could just get the old software back or do I need to download something new, or is there something already built in to the computer that I could use.

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is a "n00b" type of question.

Linux Guru
    see the "using the windows bootloader" section, here: http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/...pic.php?t=1000

Linux User
    also what that software was is a bootloader that writes to the MBR (master boot record) and when windows(any) installs it overwrites the MBR with its own bootloader that only boots windows so you could also grab the install cd and boot into your linux from there then in linux reinstall the bootloader...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    liek bmxface says, boot off ur cd, then either mount ur hard drive and run /sbin/lilo (or the grub equivalent). or look for a "reinstall bootloader option on the bootup menu of ur cd. (only on some distros.)

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for all of your help. I have Linux working again !