Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Complete linux newbie here.... I want to set up a mail server to pull mail from my isp and my windows based machines to pull the mail from the linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Mandrake 9.0 mail server

Complete linux newbie here.... I want to set up a mail server to pull mail from my isp and my windows based machines to pull the mail from the linux box. What do i need to do this? Does mandrake have the functions for that? It would be nice if it would autodeliver the mail for each account.
    Thanks so much for helping the linux challenged...

Linux Guru
    No problems. Use fetchmail to get the mail from your ISP and pop3d and imapd to set up pop3 and imap (whichever you prefer) access to your server.

Just Joined!
    Sendmail is a good mail server. Also, the default mail server for Mandrake is postfix, so you may want to install that instead. You may find it to be a little easier to setup, but either should do the job. Also, there's qmail if you want to give that a try.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Oops, I forgot to mention (sorry for the double post) that you'll only need to install sendmail, postfix or qmail, if you want to also use your linux box as an outgoing mail server. I did this for a small network in a similar configuration as yours. In this way, when a windows user has to send out a large email message, say with a big attachment or something, it goes out immediately to the linux box. This saves time for the Windows user who can now go on to do something else, while the linux box queue's up the message and sends it out in the background. Also, it was nice because everything on the linux box was logged, so you could do things like find out how many messages were sent out from the network and where to, etc., etc.

Just Joined!
    Check out this site: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/phartz/intranet/
    If you can get past the hobbit nonsense, somebody's read too much Tolkien, it gives great instructions on how to setup an intranet using a linux box as the host server with a bunch of Windows clients. Instructions include how to setup dns, email, fetchmail, proxy server, samba (windows file sharing), an intranet web server and newsgroups server.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help everyone. I downloaded fetchmail and did the rpm -ivh to install. It is a rpm file. I was getting the error:

rpm -ivh fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0.i386.rpm
    error: failed dependencies:
    smtpdaemon is needed by fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0
    libcrypto.so.2 is needed by fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0
    libhesiod.so.0 is needed by fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0
    libssl.so.2 is needed by fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0
    What else do I need for this?

Linux Guru
    That is one of the major disadvantages with binary distributions. It is very possible that fetchmail doesn't _really_ need those libraries, only that the one who compiled it for the RPM linked it against them.
    Basically, it gives you two choices: to download the source code and compile it on your computer, or download the RPMs containing those libraries (you can search for the library name on http://rpmfind.net/), which, however, might lead to failed dependencies in turn. If you choose the latter way, you just might find yourself updating your entire system before you're done. That's not too bad in itself, of course, but it does take its time.

Just Joined!
    First of all, which version of Mandrake are you using? If you are using 8.2 or older and installing rpm's from 9.0, they mostly likely will not work because most rpms for 9.0 were compiled with the new gcc 3.2 compiler. It sounds like you may have an incompatible release of Fetchmail and you may want to install an older one.

Fetchmail comes with Mandrake Linux. It should be included in your installation cd's. That one may be easier to install, than the one you downloaded. Also, the libraries that it is dependent on should definetly be on your installation cd's.

smtpdaemon is needed by fetchmail-5.9.0-21.8.0
    Also, you are going to need to install an smtp mail server. As I mentioned above, I recommend postfix since it's the default for Mandrake.

Just Joined!
    I am running mandrake 9.0.. Does postfix and \or fetchmail come with Mandrake 9.0? IF so is it installed by default? I am so accustomed to finding the .exe and running the install. Thanks

Just Joined!
    I don't install with the default settings, I like to pick through the individual rpm packages during installation, so I'm not sure if postfix is installed as a default, I"m sure fetchmail is not. Anyway, would it be too much trouble to completely reinstall Mandrake? Do you have alot of hard drive space available? If so, it is much easier to just install everything. It sounds like from your postings that you are missing quite a few libraries and you'll have some heavy digging to do. During the installation setup make sure that you install all the development packages and install the postfix and fetchmail programs under the individual packages for the internet servers. If you don't want to do a complete reinstall, you'll have to find the individual rpm packages on your installation cd's and install them. Just browse the cd's, the packages are on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast