Find the answer to your Linux question:
it might be that the network card has some APM abilities that just are messing things up, if turning off apm/acpi in the bios doesn't work there is a kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

it might be that the network card has some APM abilities that just are messing things up, if turning off apm/acpi in the bios doesn't work there is a kernel line option that turns this off. I forget what it is offhand, but I am sure if you google around for "turn off acpi kernel parameter" or similar, you will find something
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi,

the apm entry in your post refers to the Advanced Power Management of your computer. I don't know why it kills the PC when it tries to initialize the NIC.
    Since your PC seems to be somewhat old, it is possible that the Kernel APM support can't identify the BIOS APM or that the implementation of APM in the BIOS isn't completely standard compliant. Maybe it even is not following any standards.
    The easiest way to remove this error would be to disable APM support in the Kernel. But you need to recompile the Kernel for that. But you can't do so, because your computer doesn't boot right, i guess.

Therefore try to disable APM/ACPI in the BIOS and look what happens.

About DHCP. This basically means that your computer looks for a server to provide an IP address for a network. If your computer is not connected to a local network, you usually don't need DCHP. It only costs time during boot up, because the DHCP client tries for at least 30 seconds to find a server. So, disable it, if you are not on a LAN.

Kind regards
    someone said that, and I had to delete it due to date problems.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.