Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally left Mandrake, and in turn bought SuSE 9.0 Personal. So far the installation has gone well, until i got to the Internet/Network Setup in YaST. This is where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WLAN/Ethernet card setup for SuSE 9.0 (YaST)

I finally left Mandrake, and in turn bought SuSE 9.0 Personal. So far the installation has gone well, until i got to the Internet/Network Setup in YaST. This is where i have problems - i don't know how to setup my laptop (Sony VAIO PCG-V505DX) for the Linux configuration for the inbuilt Ethernet and Wireless cards.

The specs for the cards can be seen here, just scroll down a bit. If you do not wish to view the link, the specs are:
    + Modem
    Integrated V.92/90 modem

+ Ethernet
    10BASE-T/100BASE-TX Ethernet with RJ-45 interface

+ Integrated Wireless LAN
    Intel PRO/ Wireless 2100 Network Connection 802.11b, Bus/Interface: mini PCI
    Does anyone know how i can get the OS to work with my WLAN,or at least to connect via Ethernet hardwiring? If you need more information, simply ask and i will provide.

-Infinite

Linux Guru
    Admittedly, I don't know the specifics of SuSE, but in any case, it would help very much if you provided the output of "/sbin/lspci" from the laptop.

Just Joined!
    Can you tell me in non-linux terms what /sbin/lspci refers to, or is? - i might know it easier that way.

-Infinite

Linux Guru
    Oh, sorry... I just take it so naturally... it refers to a shell command. Open a terminal emulator (gnome-terminal in GNOME, konsole in KDE... or just open a run dialog and type xterm), type in that command and press enter. Then it will give some lines of output. Copy those and paste them in a new post.

Just Joined!

netgear ma311

Hi,

I've got the same problem with a netgear ma311 wlan pci adapter on my pc.

Being totally new to linux I tried out all the values I knew in YAST but to no avail.

Anyone any idea what is needed?

Many thanks in advance

Ingo

Linux Engineer
    same reply as to the first guy, post the output of lspci

this command will list soem details of most the hardware in yoru computer (any hardware that uses the pci bus incl. AGP, and PCI cards, north/southbridge details, and details of any onboard cards.)