Results 1 to 1 of 1
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- Join Date
- May 2005
Installing VM Workstation Tools into Linspire 5.0?
1. Power on the virtual machine.
2. After the guest operating system has started, prepare your virtual machine to install VMware Tools.
Choose VM > Install VMware Tools.
The remaining steps take place inside the virtual machine.
3. As root (su -), mount the VMware Tools virtual CD-ROM image, change to a working directory (for example, /tmp), uncompress the installer, then unmount the CD-ROM image.
Note: Some Linux distributions automatically mount CD-ROMs. If your distribution uses automounting, do not use the mount and umount commands below. You still must untar the VMware Tools installer to /tmp.
Some Linux distributions use different device names or organize the /dev directory differently. If your CD-ROM drive is not /dev/cdrom or if the mount point for a CD-ROM is not /mnt/cdrom, you must modify the following commands to reflect the conventions used by your distribution.
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
Note: If you have a previous installation, delete the previous vmware-distrib directory before installing. The default location of this directory is
4. Untar the VMware Tools tar file:
tar zxpf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-5.0.0-.tar.gz
Where is the build/revision number of the VMware Workstation release.
Note: If you attempt to install a tar installation over an rpm installation — or the reverse — the installer detects the previous installation and must convert the installer database format before continuing.
5. Run the VMware Tools tar installer:
Respond to the configuration questions on the screen. Press Enter to accept the default value.
6. Log off of the root account.
7. Start X and your graphical environment.
8. In an X terminal, launch the VMware Tools background application.
Note: You may run VMware Tools as root or as a normal user. To shrink virtual disks, you must run VMware Tools as root (su -).
Could someone walk me through this process as my command line skills are primitive. I've attached an image of my desktop.