Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help accessing the cdrom drive in linux. Can anyone tell me which files need to be manipulated? I'm currently running debian and I've done this before but it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

cdrom audio

I need help accessing the cdrom drive in linux. Can anyone tell me which files need to be manipulated? I'm currently running debian and I've done this before but it's been sometime and I can't recall what needs to be done. So far, I have manipulated /dev/hdc so that it belongs in the 'audio' group. I added myself to this group and as far as I can remember this worked but it's apparent that something more needs to be done.
    Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer

more info

Ok, here is more info on this matter. It's really frustrating since I got this to work before and now I just can't get it to work.

First, I added myself to 'cdrom' and 'audio' groups. Here are the other files that pertain to this problem. Can anyone see what's wrong here?

/dev/dsp
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3

/dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root cdrom 3

/dev/hdc
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Have you made absolutely sure that you are in those groups (run "id")? If you are, what is the exact error message you get when you try and open them?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close