Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lo there, I've been using SimplyMEPIS for some time now, and I like it. So much, I have to install it onto a new PC too. But not just SimplyMEPIS, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to dual booting

Lo there,

I've been using SimplyMEPIS for some time now, and I like it. So much, I have to install it onto a new PC too.

But not just SimplyMEPIS, I want Windows XP and Windows 2000 too.

I have a 60 GB HD (and an other one for storage), so I was thinking 1 20 GB Fat32 partition for Win2k, 1 20 GB NTFS partition for WinXP and 1 20 GB EXT3 partition for SimplyMEPIS.

I've heard Grub can boot Windows automatically if available, so this was my plan:
    Install Win2k first, then Win XP, then SimplyMEPIS. Will that work? Will I be able to select an OS from Grub? Do you have any tips for this newb on dual booting?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're on the right track. I've never done what you are talking about but if you install SimplyMepis last, it should find and give you the option of adding the two Windows installs to your grub configuration. You could download and burn the Gparted Live CD and use it to set up and format all your partitions before installing to any of them. The only recommendation I would make though would be to split up your Linux partitions into three so you can install a root partition, a /home partition and a swap space. It really is a matter of personal choice but I think formatting with ReiserFS is preferable over Ext3.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 05-13-2006 at 01:02 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

I forgot about SWAP! (Shame on me.) And the other storage HD will be the /home/ for linux, and will contain the My Documents for both Win2k and WinXP. This way I can acces my files from every OS.