Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm currenty using FC1 and I was trying to install Eterm-0.9-4. It then gave me these two messages: 1. libpng.so.2 is needed 2. libImlib.so.1 is needed As far as I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Finding Appropriate RPMS

I'm currenty using FC1 and I was trying to install Eterm-0.9-4. It then gave me these two messages:

1. libpng.so.2 is needed
    2. libImlib.so.1 is needed

As far as I can tell, these seem like older version of these libs. Now, at rpmfind.net, I'm trying to find them but the closest result I can find is to a RH9 RPM. Is it safe to install that and move on?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Try this: http://www.eterm.org/download/

BTW, I love Eterm. I love using enlightenment as my wm and then opening up an eterm and making the window completely invisible. Then it looks like I'm typing directly on the background of the desktop. Coolest effect! Try it sometime. I wonder if there's anyway to do that with kde, gnome or fedora? If you get Eterm running, let me know how well it works out on FC1. BTW, what happenned to Debian?

Linux Engineer
    That link is where I downloaded the RPM for Eterm. I just need to solve these libaray dependencies and I'll be on my way.

Hmm Debian, I still have it running on my other machine (router/firewall). I don't think I can ever leave Debian for a server machine (due to it's stability) but for my workstation, I was getting sick of ugly fonts so I decided to switch to Fedora and see how it is.

So far, it's really nice. It's probably the prettiest distro that I've used but of course, the real importance should be how it should perform. Well, as I've had this installed for about a day now, I'm learning a lot about it. I also decided to switch to Fedora so that I can gain experience working on this distro.

If there are some cons to Fedora, it would have to be it's installation. I despise the fact that all these packages are installed by default as a result of RPM package dependencies. Currently, I am using apt to get rid of all these things that I don't need. I also got so used to Debian and it's vast amount of packages, I'm very much missing that part of Debian but I can always install a program from source so I'm not worried. Fedora is going to be a bit more work but I look forward to using this for sometime.

My next distro: Gentoo. I've heard too many great stuff about it to not try it out.

Just Joined!
    Gentoo could be cool, but i got really frustrated with the extreme hands on installation. I like the portage system, because it is simmilar to what i was used to under FreeBSD (which was a great system, but needs some work on the desktop) but that installation really needs work.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by slant6
    BTW, I love Eterm. I love using enlightenment as my wm and then opening up an eterm and making the window completely invisible. Then it looks like I'm typing directly on the background of the desktop. Coolest effect! Try it sometime. I wonder if there's anyway to do that with kde, gnome or fedora? If you get Eterm running, let me know how well it works out on FC1. BTW, what happenned to Debian?
    How do u configure eterm to do such a thing plz?
    bpark: how did u try to install it? Thanks to yum or urpmi?
    thx
    PS:I'm learning Enlightenment (just installed it)

Linux Engineer
    I believe Eterm should have something on it's menu's to make it blend in the background. I've seen that effect before although I've never directly used it. I don't think Eterm is a package that is within the FC repository.

I tried installing the Eterm RPM via RPM. Currently, I'm still influenced by apt although I am hearing that yum is a better choice. It's only a matter of time before I find which is better (well, better suitable for my taste at least).

Gentoo, I hear good things about portage but I also hear bad things about it. I heard it can take sometime to install packages since they are compiled from source. Of course this means that you can also include the CFLAGS during installation which is great. Desktop appearance was a major factor when I made the switch to Fedora.

Linux User
    bpark:what do u mean by desktop appearence me under slack as well as under debian I'm very happy with its appearence so what do u mean by those words?

Linux Engineer
    Oh, whiteskin was referring to the FreeBSD desktop. As for Debian, I had KDE 3.1 installed and was very glad that it used TTF but it doesn't compare to how Fedora looks. I really like Bluecurve with it's fonts and icons. I also think it's a good idea to use this so that I can learn two distributions and their pros and cons.

Please take a look at my original post, I still need an answer

P.S I need to change my logo now ... I'll most likely put the fedora on top of the penguin.

Just Joined!
    bpark: Which versions of the above libraries do you have installed on your machine? Also, can you run the enlightenment window manager? I just did an 'ldd' on enlightenment and it appears that is also is dependent on these libraries.

As far as installing the old libraries, you may cause alot of current xwindows applications to stop working or worse if you install the old libraries. Maybe you can download the source and compile and link to the new libraries?

Another idea. Any reason why you are trying to install an older version of Eterm? How about trying a more current one? You could try: v0.9.1-3 which is no longer dependent on libpng and uses libImg2 instead of the older one.

Get it at rpmfind:
    http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/so....1-3.i386.html

Also, there is an even more recent compile for Mandrake, v0.9.2-3 at: http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/ma...3mdk.i586.html

Since redhat is so similar to Mandrake, you may be able to get that to install. Although I've never used FC1, so maybe not, but it's worth a shot.

Gnux: To configure Eterm to be completely invisible you have to use the enlightenment window manager as far as I know. If anyone else finds a way to do it in kde or fedora, I'd love to hear about it. Anyway, in enlightenment, launch an Eterm, then change the window style of the enlightenment window to be completely empty. I think you get to the menu for the window settings by, right clicking or clicking on a option box on the window or ctrl-clicking or something. If you still can't figure it out, I try it again and let you know specifically. Anyway, then just make the Eterm's background transparent, and yippee, you've fused your terminal into your desktop, so to speak. It's one of my favorite gui effects. I like it so much it's a major draw for me to continue to use enlightenment even though its becoming quite outdated. Also, I've never seen any other operating system configuration that can do this on XWindows. Heck, I never seen it on any other GUI operating system.

Linux Engineer
    I haven't tried running the enlightenment window manager. I don't think I even had that installed. Yes, running ldd should state the runtime libs that are needed by enlightment window (studying for LPI does have an effect after all).

Hmm, downloaded the newest version Eterm-0.9.2-1. It too is giving me problems.
    Code:
            error: Failed dependencies:
            libast.so.1 is needed by Eterm-0.9.2-1
            libImlib2.so.1 is needed by Eterm-0.9.2-1
    Searching my lib directories (/usr/lib), I see that these are installed:
    libImlib.so.11 libImlib.so.11.0.0

Do you think compiling Eterm would be better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast