Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, I'm in a bit of a peculiar situation, I installed debian a month or so ago and I wanted to try a different distro so I tried slackware, now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub doesn't recognize slackware

OK, I'm in a bit of a peculiar situation, I installed debian a month or so ago and I wanted to try a different distro so I tried slackware, now I installed that fine and all but didn't install lilo because I had grub installed. Grub returns error 15 which I have heard is no bootable partition. How can I add slackware to the .conf file? I also have win xp on another hard drive, it naturally doesn't recognize the drive with slackware on it so I have no access to that except with knoppix. How can I access this grub.conf file or if that isn't possible how can I delete it. I cannot access this hard drive from windows and I lost my boot floppy so I cannot acess slackware either.

Please help.

How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    That was an instructional tutorial, however, I have no access to the grub.conf file(as far as I know) because it was on my debian install which I deleted(foolishly overlooking this problem). All I need to do is either A.put lilo or grub on a floppy or B.delete grub from my mbr( i have no access to any operating system on this hard drive). So I really am still pretty lost, even if someone could jsut point to where I can get lilo to install to a floppy, I would be very grateful, I have searched google with little results.

Thank you for the post.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So now you don't have any working bootloader, is that correct?
    If so, just boot with your slackware installation cd.
    You should see an option in the menu to just skip to installing grub/lilo to the MBR.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ