Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed Suse 10.0 recently. However, I heard that 10.0 has some issues that didn't exist in previous 9.x versions, and which are supposed to be solved again in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux version update?

Hi, I installed Suse 10.0 recently. However, I heard that 10.0 has some issues that didn't exist in previous 9.x versions, and which are supposed to be solved again in 10.1.
    My question is, can I somehow update my current suse 10.0 to suse 10.1 without formatting + reinstalling?
    thanks in advance

Yes you can, but it's not the safe way to do it:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...xperience.html

You would probably by better off backing up everything, and then do a clean install of Suse 10.1.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks, oh my that sounds awful. I'm really surprised though that each time a new version comes out you'd have to format + install everything again to be on the safe side. To me that's an unacceptable hassle. But I guess there is no choice. If anybody has some background information WHY it has to be crappy like this and no better solution was provided by the Suse makers I'd be interested in reading them to understand this problem. Please post any links in reply here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MKarall
    Thanks, oh my that sounds awful. I'm really surprised though that each time a new version comes out you'd have to format + install everything again to be on the safe side. To me that's an unacceptable hassle. But I guess there is no choice. If anybody has some background information WHY it has to be crappy like this and no better solution was provided by the Suse makers I'd be interested in reading them to understand this problem. Please post any links in reply here.
    Well, here's the deal. You can update directly to 10.1 from 10.0. As long as I've used SuSE (since version 8 or so), that's always been an option. The problem is that updates aren't an exact science, particularly when you're updating every package on a system.

Some folks have no trouble with an updated system. All the packages update fine and they're on their merry way. Sometimes, however (and this is more often than not in my case) something goes wrong, either because the new package doesn't install correctly, the old package doesn't UNinstall correctly, or the new package needs to remove some other stuff that the old package needed. Regardless, the end result is a borked system.

Is it a hassle to back up all your stuff and reinstall? You bet, but how often have you done that in Microsoft Windows, against your will? At least you're reformatting on purpose and you have the option to back up all your personal data beforehand. You're also getting the benefit of a clean, updated version of the OS rather than having to reinstall the same one and then immediately patch it back up again. It's all a matter of perspective.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Is it a hassle to back up all your stuff and reinstall? You bet, but how often have you done that in Microsoft Windows, against your will?...
    c'mon techieMoe, we're not here to tell everyone how bad other operating systems are... (woot, finally got chance to say that to techieMoe...)

Anyway, on to my real point. If you keep a seperate partition for /home then your backups become minimal, you just copy out any config files you want to keep, and reformat your / partition as part of the new install, and bob's your uncle.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/