Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I go to boot the cd with the distro on it, I choose graphical mode, it then takes about 10 minutes to even show the screen with Red Hat's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat 9.0 Problems

When I go to boot the cd with the distro on it, I choose graphical mode, it then takes about 10 minutes to even show the screen with Red Hat's logo and such. After every step I take, it takes about 10 minutes to process it. Then when I finally get past all of that and on to the formating of the harddrive and installation, it tells me that it's formating the harddrive, but it doesn't move. I waited about 6 hours, still nothing. I have no clue on why this is happening. Here's the system specs: 1.2ghz Celeron, 392 mb's of ram, 10 gig 5200 rpm drive. If anything else is needed in determining the problem, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,
    rewritten.

Linux Engineer
    Question, when you boot the CD, does it give you a "boot:" prompt? Tell us exactly what you do right after.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    Question, when you boot the CD, does it give you a "boot:" prompt? Tell us exactly what you do right after.
    when I boot from the cd, it gives me two main options, to install/upgrade in graphical mode, or to install/upgrade in text mode. I've tried both modes, yet something similar happens in both. In the text mode, the installation doesn't pass "running anaconda installer". And when I run the graphical mode, it has that really long periods of what I would call lag. And when it gets to the formating screen, it freezes at about 25% of the formating status bar. Hope that helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I haven't worked with RH9 (only FC1) but FC1 has this ability to test the CDs before installation does it have anything like that in RH9? Furthermore, do you still have the original ISOs on your computer? I don't know if this will help or not but I'd run an md5sum on that ISO and check that it's correct.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    I haven't worked with RH9 (only FC1) but FC1 has this ability to test the CDs before installation does it have anything like that in RH9? Furthermore, do you still have the original ISOs on your computer? I don't know if this will help or not but I'd run an md5sum on that ISO and check that it's correct.
    Yes RH9 also has that check the cd function, and it says the CDs pass. No I don't have the original ISOs. And if I did have them I don't know how to check the md5sum anyway. I'm kind of new to the linux, and trying to learn all I can.

Linux Guru
    If you get the installer started and go to a next step and make it wait ten minutes, you can press Ctrl+Alt+F3 to see the installer's log and Ctrl+Alt+F4 to see the kernel's log messages. Please check those and see if there is anything in there that looks weird/suspicious.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    If you get the installer started and go to a next step and make it wait ten minutes, you can press Ctrl+Alt+F3 to see the installer's log and Ctrl+Alt+F4 to see the kernel's log messages. Please check those and see if there is anything in there that looks weird/suspicious.
    All right, I'm going to try that.