Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all- New to linux - tried to install FC4 on my windows xp laptop. When I boot presummably linux screen comes up saying somehting along the lines of press ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot w/FC4/WinXP - hal.dll is corrupt or missing

Hi all-

New to linux - tried to install FC4 on my windows xp laptop. When I boot presummably linux screen comes up saying somehting along the lines of press any key in 3...2...1... seconds or Windows XP will boot as default. This is expected since during the fedora install I said I wanted to use XP as the default OS. I press a key and am greeted with a blue fedora screen that gives me two options: FC4 and WinXP Pro. Fair enough. If I select FC4 it loads linux as expected and everything is fine. If I select WinXP Pro I get the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    I dont know what that means or how to fix it so that I have the best chance of saving my windows setup. Yes I have the data backed up but I'd rather spend a few hours trying to fix the issue at hand rather than reformat everything, reinstall windows and rebuild my entire windows setup (probably a weeks worth of work) and then on top of that break it all again by installing linux on top of it.

I put in the windows xp disk and rebooted and the same process as mentioned above re-cycles as if there was nothing different.

Please help - Thanks in advance!!

-Cliff

Just Joined!
    This is a windows problem.

Try booting from the XP CD with the rescue CD if you have one, but it usually doesn't need one. Don't reinstall Windows, and go into the recovery console and try the command:
    fixboot