Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Im new. My question is can i format my hard drive and install SuSE when i boot up? this is a real noob question but im just being sure, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Formatted??

Hey, Im new. My question is can i format my hard drive and install SuSE when i boot up? this is a real noob question but im just being sure, I am downloading the DvD ISO image, and i am willing to format my hard drive in the command prompt (running windows XP rite now).

I am new to linux and my friends recommened me to SuSE, and i was impressed with the reviews in the linux newbie thread. I want to clean out my computer and i just wondering if i can install at boot up with the hard drive wiped out.

Any tips in installtion, or partition information or anything will greatly appreciated. I am getting sick of windows, and i really want to see my AMD64fx chip perform. ehh, again i know its a very noobish question, i just dont want anything to happen...

Yes, you'll format your partitions when SUSE installs. I recommend having a min of 3 partitions. /, /home and /swap. If you have a lot of music (mp3), videos, etc. make another partition and label it /mp3 or something. It'll save you lots of time down the road. My partitions look like...

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 14G 3.0G 12G 21% /
    /dev/hda5 28G 1.3G 27G 5% /home
    /dev/hda6 47G 22G 26G 46% /mp3
    /dev/hda8 36G 33M 36G 1% /video
    /dev/hda1 25G 12G 13G 50% /windows

Yep, there's no point wiping your system out and waiting for windows to install it's filesystem on the blank drives when SuSe will just do that again immediately afterwards.

It's nice to have a seperate partition for /mp3 - personally I have a seperate hard disk (actually two hard disks) for my music collection, but that's another issue.

When you partition, you ideally want a seperate / (root) from your /home partition - this makes life much easier later if you want to change to another distro, upgrade to a newer release, or just plain reformat and re-install (which is hardly ever necessary).

Other stuff you might want to consider making seperate:

/var - all the runtime written files go in here. Its nice to have this seperate to your / because if your / fills up, your system will grind to a halt.

/usr/local - this is a separate place to put locally installed packages, it allows you to share a package filesystem on /usr with, say, a server.

Also, if you have these two on seperate file systems, it allows you to mount your / as read-only (and remount read-write when you want to do an update). This is an excellent security mechanism, nobody can hijack your system if they cant write to your configs. Hardly anybody does this, though, so it's not a 'must have'. Linux is pretty secure (if configured correctly) anyway.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/