Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've run into this a couple of times after installation of Linux on a new system. I'm guessing this has to do with a failure to write a new boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blank screen on first start after install?

I've run into this a couple of times after installation of Linux on a new system.

I'm guessing this has to do with a failure to write a new boot loader on the system? I've seen it on both Redhat and Slackware installs, and on different systems.

A zeroing of the hard drive (wipe) seems to clear it up, but then I have to go through the Linux reinstall.

Is there a faster way to fix it?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    if you boot from a liveCD/rescue disk, you should be able to manually install a boot loader on the mbr... for grub, do the following:
    Code:
    $ grub
    grub> root (hd0,0)   #replace (hd0,0) with your boot partition
    grub> setup (hd0)    #installs GRUB on the MBR
    i don't know 'bout lilo, though.. i haven't used it in quite a while.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I am using LILO. I did check the /etc/lilo.conf (or /mnt/hda1 using the live CD) file, but it already points to hda1. And it won't allow me to rewrite the MBR using a live CD.

Soooo ... I'm moving ahead with the wipe, since I need to get the system running.

Any other advice would definately help for future installs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close