Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have other people that have confirmed that this is possible. The more I think about it, I know that it shouldn't be possible but I was able to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

yes

I have other people that have confirmed that this is possible. The more I think about it, I know that it shouldn't be possible but I was able to do it then and I should be able to do it now.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    Whoever confirmed that you can do that has no idea what they are talking about. You CANNOT mount anything that does not have a filesystem on linux.

Linux Engineer

Done

Well,

The people that have confirmed this are absolutely correct. I think that you are again mistakening the fact that we are NOT trying to mount an audio cd. I'm trying to load an audio cd through this directory.
    I fixed the problem after running xmms from the command line prompt. It had these two errors
    Code:
    libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    libxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    After I installed the correct files, I was able to load this through /cdrom. If you still don't believe that I can load files through /cdrom, then you can check the xmms forums because they are doing the same thing but they are using /mnt/cdrom because of Redhat linux. If you check this link LATER at night, I'll put an image at this link: http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/xmms.jpg
    All in all, thank you for your comment. Dolda, thanks a million for trying to assist me in this matter. You are always helpful as anyone in this forum can see.

Linux Guru
    In that case it cannot possibly be a Linux issue, since as long as /dev/cdrom isn't mounted, /cdrom isn't related to that device in any way. If anything, I could imagine that XMMS could be patched to find /cdrom in your fstab and then look at /dev/cdrom instead (or recognize the exact string /mnt/cdrom to use /dev/cdrom instead).

Linux Engineer

Re: NOT MOUNTING

Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    Ok,

Did I mention that I was mounting an audio cd? We all know that an audio cd CANNOT be mounted. However, the audio cd IS able to load from /cdrom. I've done this before and I'm perplexed why it's causing me trouble now. This is the purpose why I started this thread, to figure out why I cannot do it now when I was able to do it 2 days ago.
    I must be going blind or something because after rereading the thread I just noticed this post now. I thought you were trying to mount the audio cd the entire time

Linux Engineer

common mistake

Genlee,

Don't feel bad about that since a lot of people in my newsgroup have been asking me the same question over and over even when I specified that I wasn't trying to mount it. At a certain point, I was starting to feel frustrated because people were not reading and instead was skimming over the material.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2