Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok I figured I would try to make a dual boot system last night. Well that went a lil off track. I have a second hard drive in my system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot with Fedora Core 1 and Win XP

Ok I figured I would try to make a dual boot system last night. Well that went a lil off track.

I have a second hard drive in my system that I figured I would install Fedora to. Upon rebooting I get a Grub> prompt. Anyone else experience this problem?

I have hd0 as WinXP and hd1 as Fedora. I am not sure what I did to screw it up but I did.

Thanks

Grim

grub has been put, by the sounds of it, on your /dev/hda MBR (Master Boot Record). It, in turn, looks for config files in /boot/grub/grub.conf
    which can be on either hard disk, provided it has been told where to find it.

I'm not too sure how experienced with Linux you are, as to what you need to be told.

If you're happy to have a go then have a read of
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...l#Introduction

basically you'll need to do a
    Code:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    which will show you where the grub stuff is. Then you can try setting the root to your second hard drive (root (hd1,0)) and then try and setup this (setup (hd0)).

Or you could simply do a re-install and ask for the instalation CD to re-do you boot loader. Or put Windows back as the primary OS by doing a "fdisk /mbr"

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I am kinda new to this so I am learning as I go.

I did try to do the re-install last night, and that did not work. I will try the steps that you have here when I am at home this evening. Hopefully I can get this to work. I want to run Linux for everything other than gaming.

Thanks

Grim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Indeed, try the `find /boot/grub/stage2' command. If that doesn't return anything, try `find /grub/stage2' instead.

Just Joined!
    I know those files are there. I did a rescue from the installation CD last night. Went in and looked for the files related to Grub. I was able to find them there. I will pick and poke some more tonight. Hopefully I can get this figured out so I will not have to stare at windows other than at work and when I want to play a game.

Thanks

Grim

Linux Guru
    Yes, I never doubted that those files are there. The find command in GRUB is to find out what device ID GRUB has for the device that they are on.

Just Joined!
    find "found" the files however it does not tell what device they are on. Just tells the path.

Linux Guru
    That cannot possibly be. The very purpose of the find command is to list what device they are on. I don't like to doubt you, but could you please double-check that?

Just Joined!
    well I got it to boot the hard way......With grub I wrote down all the commands that it gave and manually typed them in swapping (0,0) for the hard drive.

The thing that strikes me as really odd about this is that (0,0) is supposed to be my windows drive. I did a fixmbr and it rewrote the MBR on drive 0 and windows came up.

I am really confused now?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?

Would having the drives on Cable Select cause this problem?

Just Joined!
    Ok I got it to work. I am talking to you live and loud now from the dual boot system. I have written down the mistakes that I made and will post later the actions that I took to correct them.

Thanks to Dolda and Nerderllo for all the help.

Grim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast