Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried searching the forums here for a solution to my problems, and found some tips, but they were unsuccessful. Here's the general problem: I had my system setup with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multi-boot issue with multiple physical drives.

I tried searching the forums here for a solution to my problems, and found some tips, but they were unsuccessful. Here's the general problem:

I had my system setup with two physical disks, dedicated to Windows XP. Partitioned as follows:

250GB SATA Drive:
    Partition 1: 20GB (WinXP installed here)
    Partition 2: 20GB (all apps installed here)
    Partition 3: 193GB (all games installed here)

120GB IDE Drive (master device on secondary IDE):
    Partition 1: 3GB (swap file installed here)
    Partition 2: 109GB (all user data resides here)

I had an additional 160GB drive that I installed as the master device on the primary IDE channel. The drive was already partitioned with NTFS, and works fine in Windows (the BIOS is configured to boot from the SATA drive).

What I wanted to do was split the 160GB drive in half, using the first partition to install Windows Vista Beta 2, and the second half to install Fedora Core 5.

The installation of both OSes proceeded fine and without incident. Except for one problem which I cannot seem to solve. I can only boot off of the drive that the BIOS has set as the boot drive. I cannot seem to configure either bootloader (WinXP or GRUB) to boot the OS(es) on the other drive.

If I boot to the 160GB IDE drive, GRUB loads and I can successfully boot into Fedora or Vista, but not XP. If I boot to the SATA drive, I can only boot into XP.

I have installed Fedora several times, trying various options for GRUB. Went I went into the advanced install options for GRUB, I told it that the SATA drive was the BIOS boot drive, and the install was set to install GRUB into the MBR on the SATA drive. The install proceeded normally, but when I rebooted, it went into WinXP without ever loading GRUB.

I've also tried using the Linux DVD (using the rescue options) to install GRUB to the MBR of the SATA drive manually, but that corrupted the MBR of the drive, and I had to use a Windows recovery disk to restore the MBR the way it was.

The other thing that I tried was the "map" command in GRUB. During the last install, the 160GB IDE was hd0, the 250GB SATA drive was hd1, and the 120GB IDE drive was hd2. So I modified my grub.conf like so:

map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

That just gives me an error about a bad executable type. Am I making some obvious mistake here (besides trying to do this at all)? When I use the map commands to swap the IDE and SATA drive, should I continue to use "rootnoverify (hd1,0)" or should I change it to "rootnoverify (hd0,0)" like I did?

I will try that now. This is maddening. I just want to get one bootloader in place that lets me load all of my operating systems.

Any help would really be appreciated and I thank everyone in advance. If any other details are needed, I will get them and provide them.

Have a look at the Gag bootloader (do a google for it)
    It is pretty good and it does not care where the OS is installed
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!