Find the answer to your Linux question:
First I would like to say I have never used linux and am a complete noob at it.SoI currently have windows xp pro installed and decided to switch to linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Monitor Problem!

First I would like to say I have never used linux and am a complete noob at it.SoI currently have windows xp pro installed and decided to switch to linux. I chose to install suse 10.0 to my hard drive and installed all 5 cd's and everything was going well. Then I got to the update thing where it connects to test the internet connetion. I got a failure notice here and was concerned since i'm using dsl 512kb connection. I just skipped this and finished the installation and when trying to load to suse the screen went black and said a couple of different things (seeing as how i tried the installation several times using different resolutions.) These messages where "No Signal" and "out of range" i can hear suse loading but my monitor just wont load. Please help me this is driving me insane!

here's some of my info

Model Max Resolution Viewable Area
    VHT 324406 1600 x 1200 32 x 24 cm

I am also attacthing my dxdiag so you can see my system specs.

Please help as soon as possible!

Thanks,
    ~Aaron
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Read The Rules. Do Not Double Post.

did you try ctrl alt + or ctrl alt - to change the resolution?
    or try ctrl alt backspace, to exit X and manualy change the Xorg.conf or XF86 config file?
    or is this before X boots, and you can't see the terminal?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by saneisjustaword
    did you try ctrl alt + or ctrl alt - to change the resolution?
    or try ctrl alt backspace, to exit X and manualy change the Xorg.conf or XF86 config file?
    or is this before X boots, and you can't see the terminal?

I get to the screen where it says boot from hard drive, installation, installatino safe settings etc...then i click boot from hard drive...i see Suse 10.0 , windows, Suse 10.0(failsafe)...I click suse 10.0 and the screen goes black and says no signal..when i press ctrl alt - or + it does nothing, when i press ctrl alt backspace the orange light on my monitor goes back to green and says no signal again. I have no idea what X is or Xorg.conf or XF86 config. When you say the terminal I am assuming you are talking about the place where i type my user name and password to log in...I do not see that. I have no idea how to do any command line stuff cause I am a complete noob in linux ..sorry Any help is greatly appreciated...

~Aaron

Do you have more than one graphics cards in this box? for dual screens, or you have an onboard one, and an agp/pci card? last time one of my friends had a problem where he kept getting no signal on his monitor, he had the monitor plugged upto the wrong card. perhaps you have an agp/pci one, and an onboard one, and you selected the on board card, while your monitor is plugged up to the agp/pci card? if you have it set to onboard card, and you want to use the agp/pci one, you can change which card you want it to use, through yast2
    If not that, then try instead of selecting Suse 10.0, do the Suse 10.0(failsafe) and see if it will boot into a terminal (you said your new to linux, you could kind of think of booting to a terminal like booting into DOS, no GUI, etc) and as root, use yast and see that you configured your monitor correctly.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by saneisjustaword
    Do you have more than one graphics cards in this box? for dual screens, or you have an onboard one, and an agp/pci card? last time one of my friends had a problem where he kept getting no signal on his monitor, he had the monitor plugged upto the wrong card. perhaps you have an agp/pci one, and an onboard one, and you selected the on board card, while your monitor is plugged up to the agp/pci card? if you have it set to onboard card, and you want to use the agp/pci one, you can change which card you want it to use, through yast2
    If not that, then try instead of selecting Suse 10.0, do the Suse 10.0(failsafe) and see if it will boot into a terminal (you said your new to linux, you could kind of think of booting to a terminal like booting into DOS, no GUI, etc) and as root, use yast and see that you configured your monitor correctly.
    Umm..First I just wanna say thanks for helping and I hate to be so troublesome but learning linux is like learning a different language...So anyway I think I only have one graphics card because theres only one place to plug the monitor into on the back of the pc. The card is VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP. I dont really know if this has anything to do with the situation but like after 20 minutes of being idle the screen will turn off and when i resume it will be a white screen so i have to turn my monitor off to get it to work... I have yast not yast2 and I did the whole terminal thing and typed yast under root and when i went to hardware then monitor it did nothing. Could it be that my frequencies are too low? I think I read somewhere they have to be 70. If so how can I change them? This whole thing really confuses me :S Hope you can help!

Much appreciation,
    ~Aaron

well sence you can get to the terminal, then it sounds like your X configuration is messed up.
    Could you possible post your X logs (/var/log/X.session or /var/log/XFree86.0 or something like that), and X configuration files (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86config-4 )

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much for all your help and being so patient with me. I am happy to report that I have fixed the problem. I got to the point where I installed the first cd and it rebooted so I decided to shut my pc down. This was the greatest thing I could ever do, was the first time I had ever seen the login GUI. I restarted before I typed the root password so from there I went to boot from disk then on Boot Linux 10.0 I pressed f2 and typed in single. When the terminal came up I typed passwd and it let me choose a new root password and presto there's the desktop only its a dull desktop that has eyes rolling around. To fix this i went to yast2 and updated the system with all 5 cd's and I am now officialy a Linux user! Guess I found a loophole around the hole monitor problem, dunno why it worked like that but I'll not question it Should I have a username and password, I did'nt make one..I have just been using root and don't know if I should always log in as root

By the way, I can't figure out how to configure my dsl in Linux. In windows all I have to do is plug it in and I am ready to surf the net. Please don't tell me I have to know my username and password for my ISP because I have no clue what they are. My connection is 512kb DSL.

Also, I put my motherboard cd into the tray so I could load some new drivers and stuff becuase it says I have no 3D hardware configured or something like that, but when AutoRun started the cd all it did was show me the files on the cd instead of starting the program on the disk...why is this?

again...thanks so much for all your help,
    ~Aaron

For the DSL - if its a dynamic ip, I believe you just bring up the interface, and tell it to get you an ip
    as root:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient eht0
    if its static I'm not sure

and as for those driver, it didn't start the program on the disk because the autorun on it is a windows executable, and the drivers are windows drivers, so they won't work on linux. You'll need to look for linux drivers.
    And you really should make a user login, its a really bad idea to do everythign as root.

Just Joined!
    Thank you so very very much for all of this sane, u da man :P

P.S. Tyler says the first rule of fight club is, we don't talk about fight club.