Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any optimizing and tuning techniques for linux machine. I am running mandrake 10.1 for quite sometime and its gets slower after couple of days, say 10 days. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Optimizing and Tuning technique

Is there any optimizing and tuning techniques for linux machine. I am running mandrake 10.1 for quite sometime and its gets slower after couple of days, say 10 days. Now if I restart the pc then it works fast again. Is there any way to optimize and tune the linux machine with some commands i.e. without restarting it. I have disabled all the unecessary servers/daemons which are runing in background. Gimme some ideas. I am a newb.

Quote Originally Posted by AceAll
    Is there any ophttp://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux/editor/indent.giftimizing and tuning techniques for linux machine. I am running mandrake 10.1 for quite sometime and its gets slower after couple of days, say 10 days. Now if I restart the pc then it works fast again. Is there any way to optimizh and tune the linux machine with some commands i.e. without restarting it. I have disabled all the unecessary servers/daemons which are runing in background. Gimme some ideas. I am a newb.
    If your machine is running slower, it's typically because of too much or extraneous cache.

What web browser do you use?

Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror, etc. all should have an option in their specific toolbars for amounts of cache or mem dedicated to recently viewed pages. If you dedicate too much RAM to this, pages load slower on the large networks (www) because your machine's cache is being run through numerous times, thus causing pages to load slower. This is one of the reasons I <3 Firefox. . . its tabs feature is specifically designed around this, and tends to quickly "recycle" the stale pages, even when you don't specifically request it to.

if you have it installed try:

yum update firefox

in a terminal . . . afaik, Fedora Core 4 won't allow you to go beyond version 1.0.# (where " # " is some number), whereas MEPIS works with the Fx version 1.5 .#

(one of the reasons I'm running it)

Just some thoughts.