Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
So will bringing swap down to 1GB and dropping root to 10GB and making everything else home be ok or should I make root 15GB?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So will bringing swap down to 1GB and dropping root to 10GB and making everything else home be ok or should I make root 15GB?

Quote Originally Posted by compugen
    Swap should, generally, be double of your physical ram. But i prefer it keeping it average. So for me if my RAM is 1GIG i ll prefer having at max 750MG of swap partition. Depends what kind of use you are having. I am definitely not a gamer so I dont require that thing much.
    This is very old advice, and as such it's a bit out of date. Modern systems with 512MB of RAM or more do not need much SWAP space, if at all. The only time SWAP gets used is when your system runs out of physical RAM, which for most of us doesn't happen very often. On top of that, SWAP space is incredibly inefficient since it uses harddrive space as RAM. Harddrive seek times are exponentially slower than that of physical RAM, so if your system spends a lot of time paging through your SWAP, your whole system performance will be negatively affected.

As for needing more SWAP if you're a gamer, this is simply not the case. I run games such as Doom 3, Quake 4, Neverwinter Nights, and Unreal Tournament 2003 with as little as 256MB of SWAP space or none at all and I've not noticed any performance problems.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    / (root) is pretty much the equivalent of c:/windows + c:/Program Files in MS Windows.
    A closer approximation would be something like:

'/bin + /boot + /dev + /etc + /lib + /opt + /proc + /root + /sbin + /sys + /usr + /var' == ' c:\windows + c:\Program Files '

'/' == "My Computer"

Absolutely, was just trying to keep things simple
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Yeah, but not for personal usage. Taken from their site...

However, no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities (e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less than US$ 100 000.00.

As long as the use of the format is non commercial - it is free of charge. Thus legal

Just Joined!
    So how big do you think I should make root...Should I leave it at 20 or brint it down to 15 or 10? Also...is making my swap 1GB ok?

Quote Originally Posted by murph1083
    So how big do you think I should make root...Should I leave it at 20 or brint it down to 15 or 10? Also...is making my swap 1GB ok?
    As I stated above, you'll probably never use more than about 512MB of swap on a modern PC. 1GB is okay, but anything more is just silly, IMO.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I only have 256MB of memory now but I will be getting another 256 very soon.
    It's up to you really. But as techieMoe said SWAP certainly doesn't need to be double your RAM, unless you are using some gargantuan applications, and many of them at the same time.

I approve what techiMoe said: 512 MB is good in your situation.

As for root partition, I don't see why it should be bigger than 10G for normal desktop use.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I just dont want to make the root too small and run out of room. Im debating between 10G and 15G. Does anyone see any reason why it shouldnt be 15G? techiemoe....how big is your root?

I just dont want to make the root too small and run out of room. Im debating between 10G and 15G. Does anyone see any reason why it shouldnt be 15G? techiemoe....how big is your root?
    That's kind of a personal question there, murph. Actually, I think my root in SuSE is something like 15-20GB last I checked. It doesn't need to be terribly huge unless you plan on installing a lot of large software in your root filesystem.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast