Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm a "n00b" to linux. I just downloaded slackware live and it runs great on almost every computer. The only one that I have tried that it does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How do you make a boot floppy of slackware live?

Hi. I'm a "n00b" to linux. I just downloaded slackware live and it runs great on almost every computer. The only one that I have tried that it does not run on is my own. It gives me some error about how it fails to boot from the CD then goes directly to Windows XP.

I thought perhaps if I created a boot floppy then it might solve my problems. Only problem with this is i don't know how to do it. I know normally you would type something like ""cat /path/to/image >/dev/fd0", but for some reason this doesn't seem to work for me. Could anyone please tell me how I would create a bootable floppy for slackware live. Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance.

Linux Guru

Re: How do you make a boot floppy of slackware live?

Quote Originally Posted by mjordan2nd
    but for toms reason this doesn't seem to work for me.
    I'm sorry, but I don't really understand. What reasons?

Linux Engineer
    i think he meant, "...for some reason..."
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I was guessing so, but that would have been a rather strange typo to make. In any case, mjordan2nd, if that is the case, would you mind describing the symptoms more closely?

Linux User
    Could be a flaky CD rom drive. Whe they start to go, they can have trouble reading burnt discs. When it gets into XP, can you explore that CD? Can you boot from other CDs on that machine? It's worth ruling out the drive as the problem.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Newbie
    Heh, sorry for the typo. I don't know what I was trying to type, but I did mean to say some. I don't think anything is wrong with the cd drive or cd-rom as it does read the disc in windows.

I did, however, figure out how to make my boot disk. I will explain how to do this in case anyone else ever has this problem. What you do is look at the files on he cd. There you will see a file called vmlinuz. Copy this into /boot. Then type mkrescue. That's it. The boot disk should created. Now let me hope that it works.

Linux Newbie
    Well this is interesting. I booted up slackware thinking I would be using the boot disk I created to see if it would work, but knowing my careless self I forgot to put the boot disk in, but this time, VOILA! Slackware booted directly from the CD. I don't have any idea how or why but it did and now I'm on the internet on linux and listening to my old music which I have not been able to because Windows XP doesn't support my sound card for some reason.