Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently got a copy of a Red Hat 9.0 that I want to put on my machine. When I tell Red Hat to intall in GUI mode it starts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Red Hat installation

I recently got a copy of a Red Hat 9.0 that I want to put on my machine. When I tell Red Hat to intall in GUI mode it starts installation and 30 seconds later the screen goes black and does not recover. When I install in text mode it goes through the entire installation, and when I reboot to finish installation it starts to load linux and then the screen goes black again and doesn't recover. I've tested the CD's and they are good, it seems to only go blank when it uses some sort of a GUI. I have a nVidia gForce 4 so my cards isn't very old. This is pretty frustrating so any help would be very much appreciated. Thank You.

Dave

Linux Guru
    If you run the installed system and wait until the screen goes black - does pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace create any sort of effect?

Just Joined!
    pressing ctl+alt+backspace did nothing, but when I let it sit on the blank screen for about 5 minutes and it went to a blue screen with the message "Failed to start the display server several times in a short time period: disabling display :0" it went to this message and stayed there. Thanks for helping me out.

Dave

Linux Guru
    OK, that's better, because then it hasn't hung or crashed, at least. When it goes to say "...disabling display :0", press Ctrl+Alt+F2, log in as root and run the command `cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log'. Then, please post here what it says (if you have no other way and have a digital camera, a common way of posting that is to take a photo of your monitor and post it).

Just Joined!
    it said there was no such directory available. I'm not sure if i did it correctly or not but I don't know how to post a picture, because my computer is not a server, i would need to upload it somewhere.

Linux Guru
    Did you type it with the correct case (ie. XFree86.0.log, not xfree86.0.log)?

If you don't have a server to upload it to, you can mail it to me, and I'll put it up.