Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to Linux but consider myself fairly good at using computers and such and can generaly figure things out if i problem arises. I have a DELL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question USB Dual Booting

Hi,
    I am new to Linux but consider myself fairly good at using computers and such and can generaly figure things out if i problem arises.

I have a DELL Inspiron 6000 with XP home on the internal HD. I recently got a very cheap HD and made it external through USB. i have a 60GB NFTS partition on it for windows file storage and the remaing 20GB are unallocated. Is it possible to install Fedora Core 3 on the 20GB partition and Boot from it when i feel like using linux. I have no intention of trying to boot on another computer only this one.

if the laptop can boot from the usb yes. but you may need to make a grub boot disc. if that's the case the laptop may not even need to boot from usb because it's possible i've heard to configure grub to do it. i've never tried it, but in theory it should work but as i said you'll probably need a grub boot disc
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    im new to all the linux things but i think i understand what you are saying.
    I install fedora to the external HD then to boot it i use a "GRUB" cd which tells the computer to boot off the external hard drive. If i want to boot windows i just boot normally w/o the cd in the drive.
    is this correct?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you are correct. but like i said i've never done it i've always dual booted off of the same hard drive with different partitions. i'm sure if you have problems there are plenty of people here that can help.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!