Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have Suse 8.1 running on an older 10G drive and have just added a new 120G drive that I would like to use as my main drive... meaning I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching Hard Drives

I have Suse 8.1 running on an older 10G drive and have just added a new 120G drive that I would like to use as my main drive... meaning I want to transfer everything from the old drive including all config files, system files, etc.

I continue reading several sites about this process but seem to not be getting anywhere. They are not very complete.

I dont want extra partitions just the standard /, /boot, and /swap partitions.

If anyone could please guide me through this that would be much appreciated.

I would try something like
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdax /mnt/newdrive 
    cp -Rdp / /mnt/newdrive
    Replaceing hdax with the new drive

Linux Engineer
    let me get this straight.

u have hda which has / , /home, swap right? this driev is 10gb all up

u have hdb which is completely empty, and is 120gb.

and u want to copy everything off the 10gb onto the 120. then remove the 10 and have it behave as it always did?

first u need to format/partition hdb. use ur favourite partiionaing tool for this, i assume suse comes with something, if it doesnt ive heard parted works pretty well.

think carefully before partiioning hdb, do u want it to be say 10gb /, 1gb swap, 109gb /home or do u want to make /home another 10gb and make the last 100 of the drive another partiion called /storage or something... i will leave this up to u.

for the rest of this i will assuem u are going with what i first suggested.

now u have ur partiions, and they are all formatted (again the partition tools can do this), format / and /home to ext3/resiserfs/xfs/whatever ur favourtie is, i would do ext3. and the swap partition to linux swap format.

type the followign stuff into a terminal
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/newroot
    mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/newroot
    mkdir /mnt/newroot/home
    mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/newroot/home    <--- replace hdb2 with whatever partition is the new /home
    cp -rf / /mnt/newroot
    im pretty sure that will copy everything across.

now to set up ur 120gb to be bootable.

first check that /etc/lilo.conf is set up so that root=/dev/hda1 for everything. The reason for this is that while the 120gb is currently hdb, we will later remove the 10gb drive and place the 120 on hda.

now check that /mnt/newroot/etc/fstab is set to mount /dev/hda1 on / and /dev/hda2 on /home (again replace the number at the end by the partition u installed onto.)
    -yes this should still be hda NOT hdb.

now we will check that it all copied properly, since we are abotu to make the 10gb drive obsolete.
    Code:
    umount /mnt/newroot/home
    umount /mnt/newroot
    mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/newroot
    check that /mnt/newroot contains the same info as your home drive.
    Code:
    umount /mnt/newroot
    mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/newroot
    check that /mnt/newroot contains the same info as ur / drive except home shoudl be empty

if that all works out then your data has been copied and now we will set the 120gb drive to be bootable.

Code:
    mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/newroot/home
    /sbin/lilo -M /dev/hdb
    now power down your computer, remove the 10gb drive and put the 120gb into primary master plug.

when u boot up it should look exactly as it always did but u will have a lot more space.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You want to use Rdp with the copy to copy simlinks and keep all the file permissions, owners and such correct. Try man cp

Just Joined!
    I dont think I'm using LILO for booting... I can't find the /etc/lilo.conf. file so think I'm booting from grub. What if this is the case?

Also when I check my current partition table it shows the following:

/dev/hda1 ext2 /boot
    /dev/hda3 reiserfs /

Should I only make one partition on the new drive? Or do I have to partition it as the second is setup? Do I create a /boot partition or is this just simply a mount point?

Thanks for your help!

Linux Newbie
    You could take the easy way andformat hdb as one partition. There (in my opinion) is no reason for multiple part. unless you want to mount /boot as read only. That way copying would be alot easyer.