Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i want to set up a machine to try out different distros. can i share /swap and /home between them all or will i have problems? i read about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multi distro booting

hi

i want to set up a machine to try out different distros. can i share /swap and /home between them all or will i have problems? i read about needing to set up a /boot partition. i ask because for example, i have a user account in suse and use the root password when i need to, but in ubuntu the username/password i set at install is the one i use to make any system changes. if i do share one /home then i don't want to clash users and permissions and whatnot. i will be using the same username and password for each distro too.

also, i'll worry about this later but is it possible to set up a random bootloader? so each time i boot it chooses a distro at random..

thanks in advance

You can share /swap partitions but if you use the same user name then I wouldn't share the /home partition. You don't need a /boot partition ( I think) .
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright