Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to upgrade a server that is running Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 5. All the packages installed on FC 1 are done through yum except the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

upgrading a manual installed rpm with yum

I am going to upgrade a server that is running Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 5.
    All the packages installed on FC 1 are done through yum except the mysql install.
    I do not expect to many issues with upgrading the OS, which is the first part of the process, and that everything keeps on working.

I also want to upgrade mysql 4.0.20 to the latest version. The mysql install was done manually from rpm. Yum updates the server every night but does not update the manually installed rpm.

I want yum to update absolutely everything, including mysql. Is there a way of upgrading a manual installed rpm with yum from now on?

I could delete the 4.0.20 install and do a yum install for mysql5 and restore database but time is money so looking for the easy way out
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Provided you didn't use the source rpm and build the modules yourself, then there should be no problem in the upgrade.

Yum uses rpm to install packages, and so uses the same database and dependency checking. There are one or two gotchas you should be aware of, but nothing major here:

- If you installed a package by installing the source rpm then compiling it, you should go back to the souce directory and uninstall it before you upgrade. You can re-install from the same source (if it will still build) or from a newer version after the upgrade is complete.

- If you installed packages using rpm's for other distros or generic packages with no intended distro, then you will probably want to uninstall these before upgrade and install the matching package from the yum repository afterwards, that way you will allow yum to update automatically as the module is updated in the future. You dont have to do this, but there is a slim chance that dependency problems may arise during the upgrade, and even if all goes smoothly, you'll have to manually find and apply updates to those packages during the life of the upgraded system.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/