Hi Chasgood,

1) Windows does not see HD's that are Linux partioned with Linux File Systems. They are invisible to Windows. Windows only sees Windows.

2) I gather that you have XP on your primary HD and are attempting to install Linux on your second Hard Drive with Grub being placed on the Primary HD Windows XP MBR. I think this might be your problem. I don't run Windows XP but I know that there are issues in that XP does not like to share the MBR with Nobody, especially Linux. I know that there are ways to do this but since I don't use XP I am not exactly sure about it. I use a duel boot with Win98SE which is just happy as peaches in a pie to do so with most Linux distro's.

3) Any XP / Linux Users out there that can give Chas some pointers?

4) Troubleshooting - If not, I can say that you could at least check out the Various Distro's on your hardware by disabling your XP hard drive (taking HD 1 - XP off line temporarily ) and hooking up HD 2 as your one and only HD ( making it HD 1.) Now experiment with your various distros to see if you can get them to install on this hard drive ( One At A Time - Of Course ). Don't fool with your XP drive until you get familiar with installing Linux as your one and only OS on your spare drive. ( One Hard Drive - One Linux Distro .) Don't complicate matters. You need to troubleshoot your Linux Install process first. Roger? Make sure your HD is jumpered correctly and BIOS recognizes new primary HD. Now you can repartition the Hard Drive, make Linux 83 and Linux Swap 82 Partitions and then make the File System of your choice EXT2, EXT3, ReiserFS, JFS etc. It's a good idea to remake the file system after an aborted install or installing another distro since you want to clean out the partitons and extraneous data from the previous install. Also differrent Distro's give different boot options. Usually LILO, GRUB, and options of booting from floppy or HD. Experiment - Linux encourages it, and you will learn quite a bit. Often you are given options as to where you want to install the boot from Master Boot Record (MBR) or the Super Block of Linux Partition. Since you mentioned that you are running Windows XP, I know that putting GRUB on the MBR of your Windows XP HD will cause problems. This might be part of your difficulty.

5) Next, methodically analyse how far your install proceeds and take copious notes as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread. Lots of times you can isolate where Linux hangs up during the install process by keeping good notes.

6) The whole idea is to not complicate things at first. 'Simplify and Isolate' the problem. This is the general rule.

Wish you the best. Keep us posted.

Your Friend, Uriah
Yes - "We are our brothers keeper."