Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey ive been trying to install suse 10.* for a week now and i just recently ran into some very serious problems. First of all Grub was booting before the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

major install problems...

Hey ive been trying to install suse 10.* for a week now and i just recently ran into some very serious problems. First of all Grub was booting before the cdrom could even boot, even though the first primary boot option is my cdrom. So i got a little risky and used cfdisk to delete /dev/hda1 (my boot partition) so i could use my windows xp recovery cd, and fxmbr or whatnot, but now nothing works. If i try to boot the hard drive, i get
    verifying DMA pool data......
    invalid partition table

if i try to boot a bootable cd, i get

boot from cd:
    invalid partition table

Ive searched all over and i have no idea how im gonna fix this.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated

How did you burn the CD to start with - apologies if you're way beyond this, but a lot of people (myself included) burn ISO images onto a data CD, rather than as a CD image the first time. This would explain why the CD wont boot, if it's the case.

If you burnt it as an ISO, the problem may be that the file didn't download correctly, so the CD you created has the wrong data on it - did you check the md5sum of the download?

If neither of these explains the problem, it could be that something is wrong with booting from CD on your computer. Try downloading the Smart Boot Manager floppy image, then creating a boot disk with it - this lets you select what device to boot from at boot time.

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Quote Originally Posted by silvershady
    So i got a little risky and used cfdisk to delete /dev/hda1 (my boot partition) so i could use my windows xp recovery cd, and fxmbr or whatnot, but now nothing works. If i try to boot the hard drive, i get
    verifying DMA pool data......
    invalid partition table
    If you have only one hard drive, then /dev/hda1 is your windows partition. You deleted it? Is that right?

Could you clarify this? How many hard drives do you have? Are they IDE, SATA, SCSI?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    First of all to answer your questons, Its an IDE hard drive, the ISO i burned was burned as an image, not a data cd. I even tried to to use the windows xp startup disk (which is a factory cd) and it id get invalid parition table.
    I have solved the problem by hooking up a seperate 4 gig hard drive as a slave to the master in my computer and attempted to put in a bootable cd. Strangely the cd booted and i used gentoo's partitioning manager to wipe out my 40 giger and then poof, everythings normal again.

Just Joined!

dual boot on AMD64 Athlon

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to install Fedora core 4 on AMD 64 Athlon 2800+ processor. I already have windows xp media center edition on my pc.

I have a bootable fedora DVD. But the problem is the system reboots irrespective of the installtion option I choose. For example simply pressing <Enter> for graphical mode didn't work. Also, boot: linux text <ENTER> didn't work! The system always reboots.

I also tried linux dd <Enter> and inserted the device driver floppy required for Asus motherboard.
    Any idea what should I do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bye!