Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not sure if this post belongs here, but did not know where else to go. I have recently upgraded my hard drive on my linux box and now want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux HD into Mac PPC

Not sure if this post belongs here, but did not know where else to go.

I have recently upgraded my hard drive on my linux box and now want to install the old hard drive from it into my old PPC 6500 Mac. I have tried just hooking it up and booting from CD to use the drive setup utility, but it doesnt even see another drive hooked up.

I have tried to reformat the disk in a few different ways via my linux box through fdisk, but to no avail. I am at a loss as to how to get the Mac to see the damn thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that you have the correct master/slave setting on the HD?

Just Joined!
    Yes I am... I have tried it on Master, SLave, and CS (cable select)

Not sure if I need the drive formatted a certain way or what..

Really would like to swap out the old 3GB that is currently in it with the 10GB that was in my Linux box.

Thanks for the help again, and again, and again...

Linux Guru
    I'd really like to have a Mac so that I'd know these things. You wouldn't mind giving me one? =)

If anything, may I suggest that you install a PPC Linux distro (like YellowDog, Debian PPC, Gentoo PPC, etc.) on the Mac instead? That should have any trouble seeing the disk. ;-)

Just Joined!
    haha... not going to happen.. I only have the one Mac and it has all my graphics development software on it.. such as Photoshop.. etc..

Is there not any way to reformat a hard drive and have it so a Mac can see it to at least reformat it?

There has to be some way to get the mac to see it.. right?

Linux Guru
    I dunno... the Mac should be able to see it no matter what is on it, but if you want to try if it works if you format it really thoroughly, you can try putting it back into the Linux box, and run this command (where hdx should be the hard drive that you want to format - be careful!):
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx
    That will write zeroes all over the disk.

Just Joined!
    I tried that partially, but got tired of waiting for it..

I will give it a go tonight..so I can just leave it on.. its only a 3G drive so hopefully it doesnt take to long.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Great news!!!

I went ahead and did the zeroing out of the disk... didnt take but maybe an hour or two..

Hooked up the drive to the mac.. booted from disk.. nothing.. damn!!
    changed the jumpers to slave, master, CS... still nothing...damn!!

Then I thought... hey, lets just take the damn jumper off..

Well that was the ticket!! Once the system booted up, the mac noticed the drive and asked to inittialize it... so being so grateful that it saw it, I said.. "but of course.."

I am so damn excited this worked!! In the future.. if anybody asks about adding an old hard drive to their old mac.. remind them to remove the jumper first!!

Thanks for all your help!

Got to go.. am partitioning my mac drive now.. and re-installing the system software, with any luck.. I will have put new life back into my old mac..

-- reason behind all this... funny story,

My mac started making noises...wheeez wheeez... whoooor...wheeer...wheeez..

Of course my first thought being, damn hard drive is going out. So I thought long and hard and decided instead of buying new drive for my mac, I would buy a new one for my linux box and transplant the old one to the Mac. As you know, a much more difficult task than I had first expected, but well worth it! I have gained so much knowledge.

Heres the kicker.. I have realized that the mac continues to be plagued with the noises.. and have concluded that it is my power supply.. I believe its the fan on it, its berrings must be going out.. So now I'm looking for a power supply upgrade for my Mac... lol

Well.. I'm off.. thanks again!

Linux Engineer
    ive had noisy fans before, u dotn need to replace them, just unscrew them and there is a sticker on the back, peel it half off and fill up the inside of the fan with oil of some sort, i sued engine oil co zi had some sittign round but any should work.

Linux Guru
    Oh, was it a Western Digital hard drive? In that case, you have to take off the jumper to make it work when it's alone on the bus. There are some other brands that make that distinction as well, although I don't know which ones.

As for fan oil, I truly recommend the CRC 5-56. That oil - if there would have been a god, that would have been his gift to men.

If that doesn't work, though, it's not that hard to get your hands on just a new fan. You don't have to order a brand new power supply.