Find the answer to your Linux question:
i can boot into the live cd and start my install. its not until i chroot where i run into problems. first i cant use nano. it gives me the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gentoo problems on fujitsu p-2120

i can boot into the live cd and start my install. its not until i chroot where i run into problems.
    first i cant use nano. it gives me the error illegel seek. Not a big deal cause i can nano from a different term.... so i move on and set my cflags correctly for the tm5800 prcessor

gcc 3.x -O3 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -falign-functions=0 -falign-jumps=0 -falign-loops=0

then i emerge system, and continually through the install i see the error i8253 count too high! resetting...

doesnt seem to affect anything but when emerge system gets to binutils it fails saying

makeinfo --split-size=5000000 -I . \
    -o as.info `test -f 'as.texinfo' || echo './'`as.texinfo
    make[2]: *** [as.info] Illegal instruction
    make[2]: *** Deleting file `as.info'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.14.90.0.7-r4/work/binutils-2.14.90.0.7/gas/doc'
    make[1]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.14.90.0.7-r4/work/binutils-2.14.90.0.7/gas'
    make: *** [info-gas] Error 1

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/binutils-2.14.90.0.7-r4 failed.
    !!! Function src_compile, Line 140, Exitcode 2
    !!! (no error message)

anyone know whats going on ?

Linux Engineer
    during the bootstrap process you want to be pretty conservative in your CFLAGS choices.. this is because some of the packages it compiles during the bootstrap are somewhat sensitive to the CFLAGS used.. i would try backing off of some of those CFLAGS... usually the optimizations will try to do something that breaks the compilation if the CFLAGS are too aggressive..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    i always get (even if i start from stage 3)
    error i8253 count too high! resetting...

i think it is not an error.
    Have a nice day

Just Joined!
    im doing a stage 2 install so im not bootstrapping.... but even with less agressive CFLAGS i still have this issue with binutils

is there any other options

Linux Engineer
    check out this post from the gentoo forums:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...253+count+high
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr