Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok right now i am have a windows (video games) and ubuntu (every thing else) partion. i have 2 questions 1.i would like to change my distro to something else. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

keeping a partition while installing new distro

ok right now i am have a windows (video games) and ubuntu (every thing else) partion. i have 2 questions

1.i would like to change my distro to something else. Im thinking about using SuSE. i only have about 4 months experence on linux, and want to go to try something new. Any recomendations considering my experence.

2. i have the windows partition i don't want to lose windows besides the games i have information i cant lose but i do back it up so im safe if something goes happens wrong. is there any way to change my distro and not lose windows.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmutt24
    1.i would like to change my distro to something else. Im thinking about using SuSE. i only have about 4 months experence on linux, and want to go to try something new. Any recomendations considering my experence.
    That's pretty much up to you. No one can predict which distro you'll like best.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmutt24
    2. i have the windows partition i don't want to lose windows besides the games i have information i cant lose but i do back it up so im safe if something goes happens wrong. is there any way to change my distro and not lose windows.
    That's not a problem, just pay attention to the "partitioning" part of the installation (Suse in that case). It'll ask you which partitions you want to keep/format. So just install Suse over Ubuntu, if that is what you chose.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

basically just do not delete anything that says NTFS or FAT32.. everything else you can wipe and re-partition/reformat.. Lilo or grub will pick up the patition automatically after the install and you should be good to go.