Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use Ubuntu as my main OS. If I want to try a distro from a Live CD, will it affect any of my configurations like GRUB? Will I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Live CD's over Linux

I use Ubuntu as my main OS. If I want to try a distro from a Live CD, will it affect any of my configurations like GRUB? Will I have to reconfigure anything if I reboot back to Ubuntu?
    Example: Live CD of DSL or DragonFly.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Not at all. A LiveCD is meant for testing out an OS and it never does anything to your existing configuration unless you use a LiveCD to do otherwise (a rescue operation etc.). The LiveCD uses your RAM as its root partition (and all others, excpet swap for which you need not worry!!!) and mounts all its files onto it; so when you reboot, you get your configuration intact.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

I thought so

Good. I thought so but wanted to ask anyways. I've dual booted various Windows products and Linux but never two Linux distros. I'm always worried something will get overwritten.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperone
    Good. I thought so but wanted to ask anyways. I've dual booted various Windows products and Linux but never two Linux distros. I'm always worried something will get overwritten.
    I have never heard of this problem. If you are running two/more distros together just be careful not to interfere too much with thier root partitions. In fact mount them as read-only for non root users on the other distros. These simple practices will ensure that you can run your distros "safely". In fact at this time, I have two distros installed on my comp.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Gave it a try

I gave it a try the other day; tried installing DragonFly but the install menus were very numerous. After 20 minutes of trying to answer questions I aborted. I think if I'm going to install a second distro, It'll be DSL. DSL is much more friendly.