Find the answer to your Linux question:
PROBLEM When I boot the installation CD, it starts to install but when it gets to automatic partition option, it gives this error :- No drives found An error has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat EL 4 Installation: SCSI driver problem

PROBLEM
    When I boot the installation CD, it starts to install but when it gets to automatic partition option, it gives this error :-

No drives found
    An error has occurred- no valid devices were found on which to create new files. Please check hardware for the cause of this problem.

Now, I restart the installation process and select the option 'linux dd' to add the installation driver I downloaded from Adaptec, I tried to add it with fd0 and hdc but to no avail.

SETUP

Host
    Compaq Professional Workstation SP 750
    Pentium III Xeon Processor 1000MHz
    Devices on system
    -Intel Ether Express/100 driver e100
    -Adaptec AHA-2740, 28xx, 29xx,39xx (aic 7xxx)
    Mouse - Microsoft IntelliEye 3 button Mouse PS2
    Video card - NVIDIA Ge Force 2MX
    Monitor - Sceptre
    Hard disk drive - working

I have tried installing RedHat Enterprise Linux (ES) version 4 (shipped media)

On bootup, I see
    Adaptec AIC 7899 SCSI BIOS v2.55

On RedHat Installation, I see
    loading AIC 7xxx driver

When I check adaptec website, I was able to download this driver
    aic7xxx-6.3.9-i686-rhel3qu2.img
    but can not load it to system.

Unfortunate for me, this is a fresh installation so there is no OS on it. I have tried adding the driver during installation but to no avail then I tried install it first but still to no avail.

Does anyone have this kind of problem? Please help!!!

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, onomejiro.

I installed RHEL last year on a Dell server, and I needed to turn off the on-board "RAID". I don't recall if RedHat wrote that, but it was in the Dell documentation.

I recently installed CentOS (essentially RHEL) onto a SCSI-based system successfully.

The drivers were part of the install -- I did not need to get them from Adaptec.

However, the first thing I would do is make sure there is a disk in there. You mentioned the SCSI BIOS -- if a disk was successfully found, you should see some indication as it goes through the ID numbers.

Best wishes, keep us posted ... cheers, drl

( edit 1: addition )
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!

Not sure of hard disk drive make...

Now, when I wrote Hard disk drive - Not sure???, I meant I did not know the make of the disk drive. But I was installing with the CD shipped from redhat. I'm anxious to resolve this. I hate to waste money cos the software didn't come free or cheap. Morever, I believe I would learn in the process of trying to sort out the problem at hand.

Just Joined!

Unhappy Problem still persists

Quote Originally Posted by drl
    Hi, onomejiro.
    However, the first thing I would do is make sure there is a disk in there. You mentioned the SCSI BIOS -- if a disk was successfully found, you should see some indication as it goes through the ID numbers.

Best wishes, keep us posted ... cheers, drl

( edit 1: addition )
    The disk is there and it's working find but on trying to install the redhat enterprise linux 4 today, it still gives me the same error as before. The SCSI BIOS is Adaptec AIC 7899 SCSI BIOS v2.55
    So I really can't deduce what the problem is? Oh God, I pray someone comes up with a solution cos I need one now